Friday, September 16, 2022

'Nope' vs. 'Dune' for Best Science Fiction Film at the 2022 Saturn Awards


After two days of reality, I'm returning to fantasy (actually science fiction) by resuming my series about the Saturn Awards. Deadline Hollywood mentioned the two movies it counted as tying for third: "Also getting noms are A24’s indie hit Everything Everywhere All at Once and Jordan Peele’s Universal thriller Nope with seven mentions apiece." I plan on covering "Everything Everywhere All at Once" next for fantasy. Today, I'm blogging about the science fiction movie nominees.
Science Fiction Film

Crimes of the Future (Neon)
Dune (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Free Guy (20th Century Studios)
Godzilla vs. Kong (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Jurassic World Dominion (Universal Pictures)
Nope (Universal Pictures)
The two most nominated films in this category are "Nope" with seven and "Dune" with five. They are followed by "Crimes of the Future" with three and "Free Guy," "Godzilla vs. Kong," and "Jurassic World Dominion" tied at two each. "Nope" may have more nominations at these awards, but "Dune" won six Oscars and the Hugo Award for Dramatic Presentation - Long Form, so I'm voting for it. I'm betting "Nope" won't do as well at next year's Academy Awards and WorldCon.

Follow over the jump for the other nominations for these movies in categories I already covered in Part 1 of superhero nominees at the 2022 Saturn Awards — movies with updates from 'Nightmare Alley' leads Thriller Films at the Saturn Awards.

Actor in a Film

• Timothee Chalamet, Dune (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Tom Cruise, Top Gun: Maverick (Paramount Pictures)
• Idris Elba, The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Tom Holland, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
• Daniel Kaluuya, Nope (Universal Pictures)
• Simu Liu, Shang-Chi and the Legend of The Ten Rings (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
• Robert Pattinson, The Batman (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Four actors from superhero films snagged nominations in this category, more than half the field. I watched three of them and rank their performances as Robert Pattinson, Idris Elba, and Simu Liu. I have a feeling that the acting committee snubbed the best actor in a Spider-Man suit in "No Way Home," Andrew Garfield. That written, I'm not planning on voting for any of them. Instead, I'm voting for Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides in "Dune."
As the image I used to illustrate this award notes, Chalamet earned an Oscar nomination for this role. I consider Oscar-winner Daniel Kaluuya to be Chalamet's most serious competition. He hasn't earned an Oscar nomination for this role — yet.

Actress in a Film

• Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures)
• Emily Blunt, A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount Pictures)
• Zoe Kravitz, The Batman (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Keke Palmer, Nope (Universal Pictures)
• Emma Stone, Cruella (Walt Disney Studios)
• Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24)
• Zendaya, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
The lead actresses from both of the most nominated superhero films earned nominations here. Since I haven't seen Zendaya's performance yet, I can't say who's better. I can also say that I'm not likely to vote for either. Right now, I'm voting for Emma Stone in "Cruella," but that could change after I watch "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and "Nightmare Alley," both of which have excellent nominated actresses. That written, it wouldn't surprise me if either Zoe Kravitz or especially Zendaya wins.
Keke Palmer won an Emmy Award for actress in a short form comedy or drama, so she deserves to be taken seriously.

Supporting Actress in a Film

• Awkwafina, Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
• Jodie Comer, Free Guy (20th Century Studios)
• Carrie Coon, Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony Pictures)
• Viola Davis, The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24)
• Diana Rigg, Last Night in Soho (Focus Features)
• Marisa Tomei, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures Marvel)
Three actresses from superhero films earned nominations in this category, Awkwafina, Viola Davis, and Marisa Tomei. While I think Viola Davis is the best actress of the three, my favorite performance I've seen so far is Awkwafina's. I'm not voting for either. Instead, my choice is Jodie Comer from "Free Guy." That written, I wouldn't put it past the rest of the Saturn voters to pick Marisa Tomei.
The source for the image I used pointed out that Comer created two characters for the movie, which makes me even more likely to vote for her.

Film Direction

• Guillermo del Toro, Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures)
• Joseph Kosinski, Top Gun: Maverick (Paramount Pictures)
• Jordan Peele, Nope (Universal Pictures)
• S. S. Rajamouli, RRR – Rise Roar Revolt (Sarigama Cinemas / Variance Films / Potentate)
• Matt Reeves, The Batman (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Steve Spielberg, West Side Story (20th Century Studios)
• Jon Watts, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Between Matt Reeves and Jon Watts, the two nominated directors of superhero films, I'd pick Reeves. That doesn't mean either the Saturn electorate or I will vote for him. Instead, I think it will be one of Guillermo del Toro, Jordan Peele, or Stephen Spielberg. I'll figure out which one after I watch their films.

By the way, I think the best director of a speculative fiction film wasn't even nominated — Denis Villneuve for "Dune." Hmph.
I updated my likely votes in 'Nightmare Alley' leads Thriller Films at the Saturn Awards, writing "I'm voting for Spielberg or Peele." I'm leaning to Spielberg right now because I'm leaning to Peele in the next category.
Film Writing (Screenplay)

The Batman, Matt Reeves, Peter Craig (Warner Bros. Pictures)
The Black Phone, Scott Derrickson, C. Robert Cargill (Universal Pictures)
Everything Everywhere All at Once, Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (A24)
Nightmare Alley, Guillermo del Toro, Kim Morgan (Searchlight Pictures)
Nope, Jordan Peele (Universal Pictures)
Scream, James Vanderbilt, Guy Busick (Paramount Pictures)
Spider-Man: No Way Home, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Again, the top two superhero films earned nominations in this category and, again, I don't plan on voting for either of them. Instead, I think my vote will go to one of "Everything Everywhere All at Once," "Nightmare Alley," or "Nope."
Peele is probably the best writer of the bunch, so I'm penciling him in as my vote.
Film Music (Composer)

Nope, Michael Abels (Universal Pictures)
Cruella, Nicholas Britell (Walt Disney Studios)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Danny Elman (Walt Disney Studios)
The Batman, Michael Giacchino (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Nightmare Alley, Nathan Johnson (Searchlight Pictures)
Crimes of the Future, Howard Shore (Neon)
Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Joel P. West (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Out of the three superhero soundtracks nominated, I'd pick Michael Giacchino's for "The Batman." That doesn't mean I'll vote for it. I might just pick "Cruella" based on the total package of music, including the non-original songs, which earned the movie a Grammy nomination for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media...

By the way, the Saturn Awards music committee snubbed "Dune," which won Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score) at the Oscars. Once again, the Saturn Awards decided to stick it to the entertainment insiders. Still, hmph.
I'm embedding music videos from both "Crimes of the Future" and "Nope" along with one for "Dune" as a protest at the end of the post.
Film Editing

Spider-Man: No Way Home, Jeffrey Ford, Leigh Folsom (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Top Gun: Maverick, Eddie Hamilton (Paramount Pictures)
The Batman, William Hoy, Tyler Nelson (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Nightmare Alley, Cam McLauchin (Searchlight Pictures)
Everything Everywhere All at Once, Paul Rogers (A24)
Nope, Nicholas Monsour (Universal Pictures)
Ambulance, Pietro Scalia, Doug Brandt, Calvin Wimmer (Universal Pictures)
The one movie I've seen in this field is "The Batman," so I'm not ready to make a decision. I've already listed the films I plan on seeing before I vote. One of them might not be "Top Gun: Maverick," the top grossing movie of 2022 so far. It's still in theaters as I write this, where it's number four in last week's box office. That written, it's my pick to win and I might just vote for it sight unseen other than trailers.
I updated the box office for "Top Gun" earlier this week: "Not only is 'Top Gun: Maverick' still in theaters, it was number one at box office last week! It may be a while before I watch it at home."

Film Production Designer

Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Sue Chan (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
The Batman, James Chinlund (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Cruella, Fiona Crombie (Walt Disney Studios)
Nightmare Alley, Tamara Deverell (Searchlight Pictures)
Everything Everywhere All at Once, Jason Kisvarday (A24)
Last Night in Soho, Marcus Rowland (Focus Features)
Dune, Patrice Vermette (Warner Bros. Pictures)
For once, the Marvel film opposite "The Batman" is "Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings" instead of "Spider-Man: No Way Home." I enjoyed the production design of "Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings" more than "The Batman," but I'm not voting for either. Instead, I'm voting for "Dune," which won the equivalent Oscar.
I have nothing to add except this interview of Patrice Vermette ('Dune' production designer) on using clues from novel to create Arrakeen palace by Gold Derby.

Patrice Vermette ('Dune' production designer) on using clues from the novel to create the Arrakeen palace. The Oscar-nominated designer says director Denis Villenueve allowed "us to dream." Gold Derby's Sam Eckmann hosts this webchat.
Fascinating how he figured the details of the sets from the text.

Film Costume

Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Kym Barrett (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Cruella, Jenny Beavan (Walt Disney Studios)
The Batman, Jacqueline Durran, David Crossman, Glyn Dillon (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Dune, Robert Morgan, Jacqueline West (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Thor: Love and Thunder, Mayes C. Rubeo (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Nightmare Alley, Luis Sequeira (Searchlight Pictures)
The Eternals, Sammy Sheldon (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Oh, look, a nomination for "Eternals." That movie was lucky not to be snubbed, as it was nominated for Biggest Disappointment of the Year at the Golden Schmoes. Still, it was one of four superhero films earning nominations in this category, again the majority of the field and I'm sure all of them were well-earned; both "Shang-Chi" and "The Batman" deserve their nominations. That written, I'm going with the Oscar winner, "Cruella."
"Dune" provides worthy competition for "Cruella."

Film Make-Up

Crimes of the Future, Alexandra Anger, Monica Pavez, Evi Zafiropoulou (Neon)
Nightmare Alley, Jo-Ann MacNeil, Mike Hill, Megan Many (Searchlight Pictures)
The Batman, Mike Marino, Naomi Donne (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Dune, Donald Mowat, Love Larson, Eva Von Bahr (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Army of the Dead, Justin Raleigh, Ozzy Alvarez, Kevin Kirkpatrick, Victoria Down (Netflix)
Thor: Love and Thunder, Matteo Silvi, Adam Johansen (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
The Suicide Squad, Heba Thorisdottir, Greg Funk, Brian Sipe (Warner Bros. Pictures)
"Thor: Love and Thunder" is the Marvel entry in this category opposite "The Batman." I'm voting for the latter just because of the amazing transformation of Colin Farrell into Oswald "Penguin" Cobblepot. That is enough to put it over Academy Award nominee "Dune" for me, Baron Harkonnen notwithstanding. I could still recognize Stellan SkarsgÄrd.
That's not putting the rest of the hair and makeup in "Dune" down.

Film Visual / Special Effects

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Jorundur Rafn Arnarson, Erik Winquist, Joe Letteri (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Sheena Duggal, Alessandro Ongaro (Sony Pictures)
Godzilla vs. Kong, Kevin Andrew Smith (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Jurassic World Dominion, David Vickery (Universal Pictures)
Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Christopher Townsend, Joe Farrell, Sean Noel Walker, Dan Oliver (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Spider-Man: No Way Home, Kelly Port, Chris Waegner, Scott Edelstein, Dan Sudick (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Top Gun: Maverick, Scott R. Fisher, Ryan Tudhope (Paramount Pictures)
While "Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings" and "Spider-Man: No Way Home" both earned Oscar nominations, I think the effects for "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" were more spectacular, so it's my provisional vote until I stream "Jurassic World Dominion." I'm a paleontologist and have a soft spot for dinosaurs.
"Godzilla vs. Kong" got the nominations this year. Let's see how many "Jurassic World Dominion" gets next year.

As I promised, I'm embedding music videos of the nominated movie soundtracks, beginning with Crimes of the Future.



Crimes of the Future · Howard Shore

That is pretty and scary at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if it earns a nomination at next year's Academy Awards.

Next, Nope.



Nope · Michael Abels

The ghost of Ennio Morricone haunts this music! I wouldn't be surprised if it earns a nomination at next year's Academy Awards as well.

Now the Oscar-winning soundtrack that was snubbed, DUNE Official Soundtrack | Full Album - Hans Zimmer | WaterTower.

About Dune:
A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive.
Music by: Hans Zimmer
That completes today's installment. The next one should be about fantasy and animated films. Stay tuned.

Previous posts in this series

No comments:

Post a Comment