Saturday, September 17, 2022

'Everything Everywhere All at Once' vs. 'Cruella' and 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' for Best Fantasy Film at the Saturn Awards


I opened and closed 'Nope' vs. 'Dune' for Best Science Fiction Film at the 2022 Saturn Awards with my plans for today's post.
Deadline Hollywood mentioned the two movies it counted as tying for third: "Also getting noms are A24’s indie hit Everything Everywhere All at Once and Jordan Peele’s Universal thriller Nope with seven mentions apiece." I plan on covering "Everything Everywhere All at Once" next for fantasy.
...
The next one should be about fantasy and animated films. Stay tuned.
Here are the nominees in those two categories.
Fantasy Film

Cruella (Walt Disney Studios)
Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24)
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony Pictures)
The Green Knight (A24)
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Lionsgate)
As Deadline Hollywood reported, "Everything Everywhere All at Once" has seven nominations followed by "Cruella" with five, "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" with four, and one each for "Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore," "The Green Knight," and "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent." My wife and I watched "Cruella," "Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore," and "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" and our favorite is "Cruella." Pencil that in for my vote until we watch "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent." I expect we'll like the former more than the latter, but my wife might enjoy Nicholas Cage and Pedro Pascal more than I'll enjoy Michelle Yeoh. That's not the important issue; it's whether I think either of them are better than "Cruella."

Animated Film

The Addams Family 2 (United Artists)
Encanto (Walt Disney Studios)
Lightyear (Pixar / Walt Disney Studios)
Luca (Pixar / Walt Disney Studios)
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (A24)
Minions: The Rise of Gru (Universal Pictures)
Only "Luca" earned a second nomination, but "Encanto" won the Academy Award, so I'm voting for "Encanto."

Younger Actor in a Film

• Noah Jupe, A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount Pictures)
• Madeleine McGraw, The Black Phone (Universal Pictures)
• Millicent Simmonds, A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount Pictures)
• Mason Thames, The Black Phone (Universal Pictures)
• Jacob Tremblay, Luca (Pixar / Walt Disney Studios)
• Finn Wolfhard, Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony Pictures)
The two fantasy film nominees are Jacob Tremblay, the second nomination for "Luca," and Finn Wolfhard. The first is voice-acting nomination and the second reminds me that the acting committe snubbed McKenna Grace, who I thought was the real star of "Ghostbusters: Afterlife," not Wolfhard. I'm not voting for either of them. Instead, I'm voting for Millicent Simmonds reprising her role in "A Quiet Place Part II."

Follow over the jump for the other nominations for these movies in categories I already covered in Part 1 of superhero nominees at the 2022 Saturn Awards — movies with updates from 'Nightmare Alley' leads Thriller Films at the Saturn Awards and 'Nope' vs. 'Dune' for Best Science Fiction Film at the 2022 Saturn Awards.

Actress in a Film

• Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures)
• Emily Blunt, A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount Pictures)
• Zoe Kravitz, The Batman (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Keke Palmer, Nope (Universal Pictures)
• Emma Stone, Cruella (Walt Disney Studios)
• Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24)
• Zendaya, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
The lead actresses from both of the most nominated superhero films earned nominations here. Since I haven't seen Zendaya's performance yet, I can't say who's better. I can also say that I'm not likely to vote for either. Right now, I'm voting for Emma Stone in "Cruella," but that could change after I watch "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and "Nightmare Alley," both of which have excellent nominated actresses. That written, it wouldn't surprise me if either Zoe Kravitz or especially Zendaya wins.
It's entirely possible that I could change my vote to Yeoh, who won Best Actress at the Hollywood Critics Association (HCA) Midseason Awards.



Speaking of which...

Supporting Actor in a Film

• Paul Dano, The Batman (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Colin Farrell, The Batman (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Ethan Hawke, The Black Phone (Universal Pictures)
• Richard Jenkins, Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures)
• Alfred Molina, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
• Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24)
• Benedict Wong, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Like Actor in a Film, nominees from superhero films earned four nominations, the majority of the field. Other than Benedict Wong, they're all villains, Paul Dano as Riddler and Colin Farrell as Penguin from "The Batman" and Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus in "Spider-Man: No Way Home." Pending my watching "No Way Home," "Nightmare Alley," and "Everything Everywhere All at Once," I'm voting for Paul Dano. I'll revisit my choice after I stream the other three films.
Ke Huy Quan won Best Supporting Actor at the HCA Midseason Awards, so he's a strong choice. So is the next nominee from "Everything Everywhere All at Once."

Supporting Actress in a Film

• Awkwafina, Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
• Jodie Comer, Free Guy (20th Century Studios)
• Carrie Coon, Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony Pictures)
• Viola Davis, The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros. Pictures)
• Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once (A24)
• Diana Rigg, Last Night in Soho (Focus Features)
• Marisa Tomei, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures Marvel)
Three actresses from superhero films earned nominations in this category, Awkwafina, Viola Davis, and Marisa Tomei. While I think Viola Davis is the best actress of the three, my favorite performance I've seen so far is Awkwafina's. I'm not voting for either. Instead, my choice is Jodie Comer from "Free Guy." That written, I wouldn't put it past the rest of the Saturn voters to pick Marisa Tomei.
Yes, the HCA really loved "Everything Everywhere All at Once." That may not be enough to get me to change my vote. Neither was Carrie Coon's performance in "Ghostbusters: Afterlife," but seeing her in the Zuul seductress dress was something I didn't know I wanted until I saw her wearing it.


The HCA also liked "Everything Everywhere All at Once" in the next category at their midseason awards.

Film Writing (Screenplay)

The Batman, Matt Reeves, Peter Craig (Warner Bros. Pictures)
The Black Phone, Scott Derrickson, C. Robert Cargill (Universal Pictures)
Everything Everywhere All at Once, Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (A24)
Nightmare Alley, Guillermo del Toro, Kim Morgan (Searchlight Pictures)
Nope, Jordan Peele (Universal Pictures)
Scream, James Vanderbilt, Guy Busick (Paramount Pictures)
Spider-Man: No Way Home, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Again, the top two superhero films earned nominations in this category and, again, I don't plan on voting for either of them. Instead, I think my vote wil go to one of "Everything Everywhere All at Once," "Nightmare Alley," or "Nope."
While I wrote "Peele is probably the best writer of the bunch, so I'm penciling him in as my vote" in 'Nope' vs. 'Dune' for Best Science Fiction Film at the 2022 Saturn Awards, watching both movies could change my mind.

Film Music (Composer)

Nope, Michael Abels (Universal Pictures)
Cruella, Nicholas Britell (Walt Disney Studios)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Danny El[f]man (Walt Disney Studios)
The Batman, Michael Giacchino (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Nightmare Alley, Nathan Johnson (Searchlight Pictures)
Crimes of the Future, Howard Shore (Neon)
Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Joel P. West (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Out of the three superhero soundtracks nominated, I'd pick Michael Giacchino's for "The Batman." That doesn't mean I'll vote for it. I might just pick "Cruella" based on the total package of music, including the non-original songs, which earned the movie a Grammy nomination for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media.
I added more in 'Nightmare Alley' leads Thriller Films at the Saturn Awards.
I still think I'm voting for "Cruella." I might be doing it for the wrong reasons — to recognize the music in the movie that the composer didn't write — but the Saturn Awards have a tradition of going against what the industry professionals think is award worthy and this is one category where I feel like honoring it.
I am embedding my favorite original song from the movie at the end of the entry.
Film Editing

Spider-Man: No Way Home, Jeffrey Ford, Leigh Folsom (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Top Gun: Maverick, Eddie Hamilton (Paramount Pictures)
The Batman, William Hoy, Tyler Nelson (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Nightmare Alley, Cam McLauchin (Searchlight Pictures)
Everything Everywhere All at Once, Paul Rogers (A24)
Nope, Nicholas Monsour (Universal Pictures)
Ambulance, Pietro Scalia, Doug Brandt, Calvin Wimmer (Universal Pictures)
The one movie I've seen in this field is "The Batman," so I'm not ready to make a decision. I've already listed the films I plan on seeing before I vote. One of them might not be "Top Gun: Maverick," the top grossing movie of 2022 so far. It's still in theaters as I write this, where it's number four in last week's box office. That written, it's my pick to win and I might just vote for it sight unseen other than trailers.
"Top Gun: Maverick" is still a big hit in theaters, where it was number four at the box office this week after falling from first last week.

Film Production Designer

Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Sue Chan (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
The Batman, James Chinlund (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Cruella, Fiona Crombie (Walt Disney Studios)
Nightmare Alley, Tamara Deverell (Searchlight Pictures)
Everything Everywhere All at Once, Jason Kisvarday (A24)
Last Night in Soho, Marcus Rowland (Focus Features)
Dune, Patrice Vermette (Warner Bros. Pictures)
For once, the Marvel film opposite "The Batman" is "Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings" instead of "Spider-Man: No Way Home." I enjoyed the production design of "Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings" more than "The Batman," but I'm not voting for either. Instead, I'm voting for "Dune," which won the equivalent Oscar.
Two of the professional groups, the Art Directors Guild and the Set Decorators Society, both nominated "Cruella" at their awards, so at least some of the entertainment professionals recognized the movie for its production design.

Film Costume

Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Kym Barrett (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Cruella, Jenny Beavan (Walt Disney Studios)
The Batman, Jacqueline Durran, David Crossman, Glyn Dillon (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Dune, Robert Morgan, Jacqueline West (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Thor: Love and Thunder, Mayes C. Rubeo (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Nightmare Alley, Luis Sequeira (Searchlight Pictures)
The Eternals, Sammy Sheldon (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Oh, look, a nomination for "Eternals." That movie was lucky not to be snubbed, as it was nominated for Biggest Disappointment of the Year at the Golden Schmoes. Still, it was one of four superhero films earning nominations in this category, again the majority of the field and I'm sure all of them were well-earned; both "Shang-Chi" and "The Batman" deserve their nominations. That written, I'm going with the Oscar winner, "Cruella."
Still my pick.

Film Visual / Special Effects

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Jorundur Rafn Arnarson, Erik Winquist, Joe Letteri (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Sheena Duggal, Alessandro Ongaro (Sony Pictures)
Godzilla vs. Kong, Kevin Andrew Smith (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Jurassic World Dominion, David Vickery (Universal Pictures)
Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings, Christopher Townsend, Joe Farrell, Sean Noel Walker, Dan Oliver (Marvel / Walt Disney Studios)
Spider-Man: No Way Home, Kelly Port, Chris Waegner, Scott Edelstein, Dan Sudick (Sony Pictures / Marvel)
Top Gun: Maverick, Scott R. Fisher, Ryan Tudhope (Paramount Pictures)
While "Shang-Chi and the Legend Of the Ten Rings" and "Spider-Man: No Way Home" both earned Oscar nominations, I think the effects for "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" were more spectacular, so it's my provisional vote until I stream "Jurassic World Dominion." I'm a paleontologist and have a soft spot for dinosaurs.
That written, the special effects in "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" were a lot of fun to watch.

Now, as promised, Florence + the Machine - Call me Cruella (From "Cruella"/Official Lyric Video).

"Call me Cruella" from "Cruella" soundtrack - out now! Performed by: Florence + the Machine...
About "Cruella":
Academy Award® winner Emma Stone (“La La Land”) stars in Disney’s “Cruella,” an all-new live-action feature film about the rebellious early days of one of cinemas most notorious – and notoriously fashionable – villains, the legendary Cruella de Vil. “Cruella,” which is set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution, follows a young grifter named Estella, a clever and creative girl determined to make a name for herself with her designs. She befriends a pair of young thieves who appreciate her appetite for mischief, and together they are able to build a life for themselves on the London streets. One day, Estella’s flair for fashion catches the eye of the Baroness von Hellman, a fashion legend who is devastatingly chic and terrifyingly haute, played by two-time Oscar® winner Emma Thompson (“Howards End,” “Sense & Sensibility”). But their relationship sets in motion a course of events and revelations that will cause Estella to embrace her wicked side and become the raucous, fashionable and revenge-bent Cruella.

Disney’s “Cruella” is directed by Craig Gillespie (“I Tonya”) from a screenplay by Dana Fox and Tony McNamara, story by Aline Brosh McKenna and Kelly Marcel & Steve Zissis. It was produced by Andrew Gunn (“Freaky Friday”), Marc Platt (“Mary Poppins Returns”) and Kristin Burr (“Christopher Robin”), with Emma Stone, Michelle Wright, Jared LeBoff and Glenn Close serving as executive producers. Two-time Oscar®- winning costume designer Jenny Beavan (“Mad Max: Fury Road,” “A Room with a View”) creates the dazzling and imaginative costumes, which take on a life of their own.
I'm voting as much for Florence Welch as I am for Nicholas Britell.

Stay tuned as I plan on examining horror movie nominees for the Sunday entertainment feature.

Previous posts in this series

No comments:

Post a Comment