Sunday, September 4, 2022

Part 2 of superhero nominees at the 2022 Saturn Awards — network and cable television


For today's Sunday entertainment feature, I am returning with the superhero nominees for television, as I promised twice. Here are the relevant categories from Deadline's Saturn Awards Nominations: ‘The Batman’, ‘Nightmare Alley’, ‘Spider-Man’, ‘Better Call Saul’ Top List.
Science Fiction Television Series: Network / Cable

The Flash (The CW)
The Man Who Fell to Earth (Showtime)
Supergirl (The CW)
Superman & Lois (The CW)
Resident Alien (SyFy / Universal)
Westworld (HBO)
I wrote "Next year's television nominees will be very interesting" in 'Birds of Prey' and 'The Flash' lead comic-book and superhero movies and television nominees — DCEU and Arrowverse at the Saturn Awards last year, but I didn't anticipate the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Films would eliminate Best Superhero Adaptation Television Series altogether and then assign the shows based on comic-books and superheroes to other genres. I also didn't expect them to re-split the television categories so that streaming shows (formerly "new media") had their own separate awards again. Then again, I'm not surprised by that, either. As I wrote in 'Shang-Chi' vs. 'Spider-Man' among movie nominees at the 2022 Critics Choice Super Awards about keeping Best Film Presentation on Streaming Media (they didn't), "I never know with them, and I'm one of their voters!"

That written, I found the category choices the television committee made both revealing and a return to form of sorts. When I looked through the previous winners as research for continuing Blogging the Saturn Awards 1973 -- 'Slaughterhouse Five' and 'Blacula' the first winners, I saw that "Superman" won Best Science Fiction Film in 1979, while "Batman" earned a nomination for Best Fantasy Film in 1991 (the film came out in 1989, so there's a story there).* Superheroes, like horror, span the space between science fiction and fantasy, and some show more affinity for one over the other. Both Superman and Supergirl are aliens and The Flash got his powers through an experiment gone wrong, so they definitely belong more to science fiction than fantasy.

Enough about the category changes and choices. Who would I vote for and who might win? "Superman & Lois" has the most nominations of any show in this category, six, tying it for second with "The Walking Dead," "Stranger Things," and "Severance," all of which are competing in other program categories. In this category, "The Flash" and "The Man Who Fell to Earth" have two nominations and "Resident Alien," "Supergirl," and "Westworld" all have one each. Based on that criterion, I'd say "Superman & Lois" has the inside track to win. It certainly is the best superhero show on network TV; my wife and I enjoy it very much. That doesn't mean it has my vote. I'm inclined to vote for "Westworld" again, although I should watch some of the fourth season before deciding. It might not be as good as "The Man Who Fell to Earth." Either would be the professionals' choice.

Fantasy Television Series: Network / Cable

DC’s Stargirl (The CW)
Doctor Who (BBC America)
Ghosts (CBS)
La Brea (NBC)
Riverdale (The CW)
Shining Vale (Starz)
I concur with the rankings of the shows based on their total nominations, as "Ghosts" earned four nominations, "Shining Vale" has three nominations, "DC’s Stargirl" has two nominations, and "Doctor Who," "La Brea," and "Riverdale" have one nomination each. "Ghosts" and "Shining Vale" are my two favorites and I credit my wife for discovering both of them and getting me to watch them with her. Between the two of them, I like "Ghosts" more and plan on voting for it. Sorry, "DC’s Stargirl" and "Riverdale," the comic-book adaptations in the field. Also, sorry "Doctor Who" and "La Brea," which are really science fiction series that didn't make the cut for that genre's category. I also don't think they'll win, so here's the Twitter image promoting the nomination for "La Brea."


I'm glad to see the production companies and networks promoting their Saturn Awards nominees.

The Television Academy snubbed "Ghosts," but Gold Derby liked the show, interviewing several of the creators and actors. I'm sharing Joe Wiseman ('Ghosts' co-showrunner): The show's large, diverse cast is 'an embarrassment of riches' as the first video.

Joe Wiseman ('Ghosts' co-showrunner): The show's large, diverse cast is 'an embarrassment of riches.' Samantha (Rose McIver) and Jay (Utkarsh Ambudkar) inherit an old mansion haunted by people who have died there over the course of history. Gold Derby senior editor Rob Licuria hosts this webchat as part of a Meet the Experts panel for showrunners.
I appreciated this as a good explanation of why the show is both fun and interesting.

Follow over the jump for the acting nominations for superhero and fantasy shows, now that "Ghosts" and "Shining Vale" have entered the chat.

Actor in a Network / Cable Series

• Chiwetel Ejiofor, The Man Who Fell to Earth (Showtime)
• Tyler Hoechlin, Superman & Lois (The CW)
• Coleman Domingo, Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
• Harold Perrineau, From (EPIX)
• Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Michael C. Hall, Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
• Sam Heughan, Outlander (Starz)
Tyler Hoechlin is now my TV Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman and he's definitely the best actor in a CW Superhero show, but that's not enough to get me to vote for him. Right now, I plan on casting my vote for Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser in "Outlander." He might win, as he won in 2019 and he's not competing against last year's winner Patrick Stewart. On the other hand, he might lose to Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman in "Better Call Saul." I'll have more when I examine Action/Thriller series.

Actress in a Network / Cable Series

• Caitriona Balfe, Outlander (Starz)
• Kylie Bunbury, Big Sky (ABC)
• Courteney Cox, Shining Vale (Starz)
• Melanie Lynskey, Yellowjackets (Showtime)
• Rose McIver, Ghosts (CBS)
• Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Elizabeth Tulloch, Superman & Lois (The CW)
I like Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane better than ever, but I'm not voting for her and would be surprised if she wins. Sorry.

Gold Derby interviewed Rose McIver ('Ghosts'): 'It's a lot of spinning plates' with a big comedy ensemble.

Rose McIver ('Ghosts'): 'It's a lot of spinning plates' with a big comedy ensemble. She plays Sam who had a near death experience and is now able to see and hear the ghosts in her house. Gold Derby editor Matt Noble hosts this webchat.
I shouldn't be surprised that filming during the pandemic was the scariest thing about the show.

Gold Derby also interviewed Courteney Cox in How 'Shining Vale' has 'reinvigorated' Courteney Cox's passion for acting.

How 'Shining Vale' has 'reinvigorated' Courteney Cox's passion for acting. The actress explains why Pat Phelps is unlike anyone the "Friends" alum has ever played before. Gold Derby editor Joyce Eng hosts this webchat.
Comedy and horror are indeed two of Cox's strengths and I'm glad she was able to exercise both of them in "Shining Vale." Too bad I'm more likely to vote for last year's winner Caitriona Balfe for "Outlander" or Rhea Seehorn for "Better Call Saul." As I wrote about Actor in a Network / Cable Series, I'll have more when I examine Action/Thriller series.

Supporting Actor in a Network / Cable Series

• Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Tony Dalton, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Patrick Fabian, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Harvey Guillen, What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
• Michael James Shaw, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Michael Mando, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Brandon Scott Jones, Ghosts (CBS)
No superhero nominees here, but "Ghosts" has a nomination. Watch Gold Derby intereview Brandon Scott Jones ('Ghosts'): 'We can't hold or touch anything'.

Brandon Scott Jones ('Ghosts'): 'We can't hold or touch anything.' The CBS comedy is about a couple who inherit a property haunted by people who have died there over the course of history. Gold Derby editor Matt Noble hosts this webchat.
I think Jones's best chance will be if the "Better Call Saul" nominees split the vote and the horror fans don't settle on either Harvey Guillen or Michael James Shaw. Right now, I'm not sure who to vote for.

Supporting Actress in a Network / Cable Series

• Emmanuelle Chriqui, Superman & Lois (The CW)
• Lauren Cohan, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Janina Gavankar, Big Sky (ABC)
• Julia Jones, Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
• Melissa McBride, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Danielle Panabaker, The Flash (The CW)
• Sophie Skelton, Outlander (Starz)
Danielle Panabaker won last year for her portrayal of Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost in "The Flash," so she's both the leading superhero nominee in this category and the nominal favorite. The other superhero nominee is Emmanuelle Chriqui as Lana Lang in "Superman & Lois." I'm not planning on voting for either of them. My choice is between Janina Gavankar and Sophie Skelton. As I've already written twice, I'll have more when I examine Action/Thriller series.

Performance by a Younger Actor: Network / Cable Series

• Jack Alcott, Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
• Zackary Arthur, Chucky (SyFy / Universal)
• Brec Bassinger, Stargirl (The CW)
• Gus Birney, Shining Vale (Starz)
• Jordan Elsass, Superman & Lois (The CW)
• Alex Garfin, Superman & Lois (The CW)
Brec Bassinger won this award as Courtney Whitmore in "Stargirl" last time and so is the nominal favorite. I'm not sure who I'm voting for.

Guest-Starring Performance: Network / Cable Series

• Michael Biehn, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Rachael Harris, Ghosts (CBS)
• Jessie James Keitel, Big Sky (ABC)
• Jeffrey Dean Morgan, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Fisher Stevens, The Blacklist (NBC)
• Jennifer Tilly, Chucky (SyFy / Universal)
• Aisha Tyler, Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
Rachael Harris played Lucifer Morningstar's therapist and sometimes lover in "Lucifer" for years, but never got recognized for it. I'm glad she earned this nomination, but I'm probably not voting for her. I might just vote for Jessie James Keitel in "Big Sky" instead. Neither of them will probably win. I expect Jeffrey Dean Morgan might instead.

That's it for Part 2. Stay tuned for Part 3 of superhero nominees at the 2022 Saturn Awards — streaming television after I celebrate Labor Day.

*I might get around to resuming that series, should the world slow down a bit and my life along with it.

Previous posts in this series

No comments:

Post a Comment