Monday, September 18, 2023

Day four of the UAW strike from WDIV, Fox 2 Detroit, and MSNBC

I wrote yesterday that I planned on returning to the UAW strike today. Here are updates on the strike, beginning with WDIV reporting UAW strike day 4: Workers striking at Michigan Assembly Plant share their perspective.

The United Auto Worker union's strike agains[t] the Detroit Big Three entered its fourth day on Monday, Sept. 18. Negotiations resumed with General Motors over the weekend, and talks are expected to pick back up with Ford Motor Company and Stellantis on Monday.
The striker hoping Bill Ford would intervene reminds me that the management of the auto companies has more of a "we're all in this together" attitude than the studio executives, which makes me more optimistic about the UAW strike ending sooner than SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes.

While WDIV gave the workers an opportunity to state their grievances and hopes, Fox 2 Detroit included the views of politicians and management in UAW strike enters day 4.

UAW employees are on the picket line for the fourth day as the union and automakers continue to negotiate to reach a deal. Offers made to the UAW haven't met the union's wage demands, leading to the strike.
I'm glad Bernie Sanders is showing his support for the strikers, but I think the team from the White House will get more done.

MSNBC's Morning Joe interviewed CNBC's Phil LeBeau, who said 'I think this goes for a while': UAW strike enters its fourth day.

CNBC's Phil LeBeau reports on the fourth day of the UAW strike and why he believes the strike won't end in the short term.
I think LeBeau's assessment is somewhere between pessimistic and realistic, but I don't think he's wrong about what management is willing to accept.

I conclude with Ali Velshi interviewing Robert Reich and Sara Nelson on MSNBC last night. Nelson was optimistic, saying ‘The workers are going to win here’: What could change after the UAW strike.

With the United Auto Workers strike entering its third day, Robert Reich, Former U.S. Secretary of Labor, and Sara Nelson, President of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, join Ali Velshi to discuss the implications of the UAW strike for the auto industry and workers across the country as the “Summer of Strikes” continues into the fall.
Reich and Nelson are right in principle. I hope they're also right about the outcome.

I may have more on the strike as early as Wednesday. In the meantime, stay tuned as I celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day tomorrow. Arr!

No comments:

Post a Comment