Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Weird History Food asks 'Is 7-Eleven In Trouble?' A tale of the Retail Apocalypse

Today's short post features Weird History Food asking Is 7-Eleven In Trouble?

Since its founding in 1927, the convenience store 7-Eleven has become an iconic part of American life, famous for its Slurpees and Big Gulps, being open 24/7 as well as the promise that no matter where you were, there was always one nearby. But recently, something feels different: there are fewer 7-Elevens than you remember. So what happened?

In this episode of Weird History, we’re digging into the strange history of 7-Eleven to explain how a small icehouse became one of the world’s most recognizable convenience store chains, how it conquered the late-night market, and why the familiar 7-Eleven on your corner may be disappearing.

Are you a regular at 7-Eleven? Let us know in the comments!
The answer is not really; I've seen lots worse since I started blogging about the Retail Apocalypse. At least 7-11 has a plan. My readers and I will see if it succeeds.

That plan involves food, which leads to Weird History Food asking Is 7-11 Food Really That Bad?

When you’re on a road trip, late for work or just feeling the vibes and looking to chow down on some munchies, the green, orange and white glow of the 7-Eleven sign is ready to accept your rumbly tummy 24 hours a day. And we know it's not good for us, but how bad is it really?
Bad tasting? No. Bad for your health? Yeah, but not all of it.

For what it's worth, I'm not personally experiencing 7-11 shrinking. Quite the opposite — the Speedway station a mile away, where I've been fueling up ever since I moved into the neighborhood eleven years ago, is now a 7-11, so I'm seeing the chain growing locally. Also, coffee became more appealing now that it's 7-11 instead of Speedway; my wife certainly thinks so. It's where I got coffee during the power outage, so we're glad it's there.

That's a wrap for today. Stay tuned as I resume Emmy Awards coverage tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment