Friday, September 25, 2026

Randy Rainbow sings 'Dummy with the Wig On Top' plus the short form winners at the Emmys

Slight change of plans — I'm beginning my Emmy Awards coverage with Dummy with the Wig On Top - A Randy Rainbow Song Parody. Don't worry, it will make sense.

Parody of “Surrey with the Fringe On Top” from Oklahoma! by Rodgers and Hammerstein

Parody Lyrics by Randy Rainbow

Song Produced, Orchestrated, Mixed, Mastered by: Michael J Moritz Jr @michaeljmoritz

Vocal Arrangement - Brett Boles
Piano, Orchestral -Michael J Moritz Jr
Drums - Tom Jorgensen
While my nickname for (not my) President is Donald "Pervert Hoover" Trump, this incident demonstrates why others call him Trumpelthinskin. Also, his claiming that CNN, MSNOW, and Politico are threats to national security shows once again that he has the worst case of L'Etat, c'est moi I have ever seen! Good thing the courts reversed that presidential edict!

Enough ranting. Randy earned two Emmy nominations, but lost to Late Night with Stephen Colbert and Desi Lydic and The Daily Show. Follow over the jump as I revisit 'Desi Lydic Foxsplains Trump's Big Beautiful Ballroom' plus the short form nominees at the Emmy Awards.

Outstanding Short Form Comedy, Drama, or Variety Series
  • Bad Thoughts (Netflix)
  • Colbert before Air (YouTube)
  • The Daily Show: Desi Lydic Foxsplains (YouTube)
  • The Randy Rainbow Show (YouTube)
  • SubwayTakes (YouTube)
Gold Derby doesn't include the short form nominees in its prediction page, so I'm on my own. That written, only two nominees have a second nomination, The Daily Show: Desi Lydic Foxsplains and The Randy Rainbow Show, so they're the co-favorites with the tiebreaker going to Lydic because she and her show are returning winners.
Nope. The sympathy/fvck you vote for Colbert and against Pervert Hoover was too strong. Watch Short Form Comedy, Drama or Variety Series: 78th Emmy Awards.

The team from Colbert Before Air accepts the Emmy for Short Form Comedy, Drama or Variety Series at the 78th Emmy Awards.
That was (bitter) sweet. Congratulations and may all of them contribute to other shows, making their digital presence better.

Outstanding Performer in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series
  • Kim Estes – Big Law as Boyd Bennett (Vimeo)
  • Desi Lydic – The Daily Show: Desi Lydic Foxsplains as Herself (YouTube)
  • Randy Rainbow – The Randy Rainbow Show as Himself (YouTube)
I think Randy does more as he sings, dances, and acts, but Desi might do her schtick a bit better. Besides, she is the returning winner, which makes her the favorite.
And she won! Watch Performer in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series: 78th Emmy Awards.

Desi Lydic accepts the Emmy for Performer in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series at the 78th Emmy Awards.
Congratulations!

I close with a category I covered in 'The Pitt' and 'Pluribus' each win 4 Emmys and will likely split the remaining 7, but didn't embed either its Twitter/X publicity image for winning or its acceptance speech. Time to make up for those omissions.

The Pitt won Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series, Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup, Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series, and Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics plus Inside The Pitt won Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series, which I'm counting as a tiebreaker. I wrote about two of them, first in 'Desi Lydic Foxsplains Trump's Big Beautiful Ballroom' plus the short form nominees at the Emmy Awards.
Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series
  • Hacks: Bit by Bit (HBO Max)
  • Inside the Pitt (HBO Max)
  • Love Story: John F. Kennedy Jr. and Carolyn Bessette – A Love Untold (FX / Hulu)
  • Shrinking – In It Together (Apple TV)
  • This Is a Gardening Show (Netflix)
Hacks: Bit by Bit is the sole returning nominee, but I think Inside the Pitt is more likely to win, if only because it's mounting an awards campaign along with This Is a Gardening Show.
I called that one...
Watch Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series: 78th Emmy Awards.

The team from Inside the Pitt accepts the Emmy for Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the 78th Emmy Awards.
Congratulations! Also, seeing the two presenters reminds me that I never wrote anything for Outstanding Commercial or the winners of Outstanding Promotional Announcement at the News & Doc Emmy Awards. It's on my to-do list.

That's a wrap for today's installment. Stay tuned for more Emmy Awards coverage tomorrow followed by the return of Saturday Night Live.

Previous posts about the 2026 Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment