A day after Paramount Skydance and a group of state attorneys general announced a settlement clearing the way for its merger with Warner Bros. Discovery, questions remain about whether the deal does enough to protect consumers and competition. Geoff Bennett discussed more with Oliver Darcy of Status.I've written many times that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with our entertainment. This will mess with our entertainment, just like the Paramount-Skydance merger before, which resulted in Late Night with Stephen Colbert being canceled. Also, there is no new Star Trek being produced for the first time since Star Trek: Discovery debuted in 2017. However, I don't think consumers have yet seen how this merger will mess with their entertainment. It might take a while, like HBO not renewing Last Week Tonight with John Oliver next year, although The Daily Show is still going.
On the other hand, the Hollywood creatives, particularly the writers, actors, and production crews, are very upset, as NBCLA showed in Newsom, Bonta face backlash over Paramount settlement.
Critics said they feel betrayed and duped by the California leaders.California Governor Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass may have urged a settlement to save their political careers. Instead, they created new enemies. As for the protest doing anything useful, I'm recycling what I wrote in 'DTF St. Louis' wins Outstanding Limited Series while 'Beef' is shut out at the Primetime Emmy Awards: "What the shareholders want and what the Hollywood creatives desire are not the same and the shareholders are in charge unless the courts rule otherwise." The most visible actors may be well-paid and influential, but at the end of the day, they're just employees.
The Hill opened Paramount CLEARS HURDLE for Warner Bros. MERGER: MONOPOLY IMMINENT? Lindsey Granger | RISING with the effects on personnel before going on to the effects on consumers.
OPINION: Lindsey Granger gives her lens on the Paramount-Warner Bros. merger, which cleared a major hurdle after reaching a settlement with a dozen states that had sued to stop the merger.People are freaked out over the Ellisons and their relationship with Donald "Pervert Hoover" Trump and the possible effect on CNN, but this is the first I've heard of people being concerned about foreign ownership. I hadn't considered that as being bad for America.
I'm sure I'll write more about the fallout from this deal. In the meantime, stay tuned for more Emmy Awards coverage.
No comments:
Post a Comment