Thursday, April 4, 2024

Television nominees at the Critics Choice Super Awards


I told my readers "I plan on continuing this with the TV nominees on April 4th, the day the CCA presents the awards" at the conclusion of 'Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning' and 'The Last of Us' lead nominees at the fourth Critics Choice Super Awards, which means I'm continuing a streak of examining awards shows honoring speculative fiction on television that I began with My Saturn Awards votes vs. winners for Wayback 'Wednesday'. Time to recycle the relevant paragraph from the movie nominees post.
“The Last of Us” leads this year’s television nominees with seven nominations including Best Superhero Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie and Best Horror Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie. Pedro Pascal received nods for both Best Actor in a Superhero Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie and Best Actor in a Horror Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie, while Bella Ramsey earned a nominations for both Best Actress in a Superhero Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie and Best Actress in a Horror Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie. Melanie Lynskey was also nominated for Best Villain in a Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie. (Superhero categories also include Comic Book and Video Game Inspired series.)
Follow over the jump for the nominees and my opinions of them.


My favorite among the nominees is 9-1-1, which my wife and I have watched since the first episode. I enjoyed it enough to suggest it to the Saturn Awards. The television committee didn't agree. However, it's not my pick to win. That goes to The Night Agent, which is tied with Reacher for most nominations among action shows with three. I expect to see both nominated at the upcoming Saturn Awards depending on the eligibility period. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if Obliterated appears on the ballot. It's the raunchiest show I've ever watched on Netflix, so it's in extemely bad taste. On the other hand, it's digustingly funny, and serves as a good example of a comedy needing to succeed as whatever genre it's making fun of to succeed as a comedy, too.


I'm glad to see Rob Lowe nominated for 9-1-1: Lone Star; he's fun to watch. That doesn't mean he'll win. I think that's among Idris Elba, who I think is the best overall actor in the field, and the stars of The Night Agent and Reacher. Whichever series wins the action show category could give a boost to its male lead.


Angela Bassett is both my favorite in this field and a previous winner of this award. That might be enough to power her over the female leads of The Night Agent and Reacher, regardless of which show wins. I don't know if it would be enough to keep her ahead of Queen Latifah or especially Zoe SaldaƱa. Both are the protagonists of their series, which I'm not sure I can say about Bassett in 9-1-1. Her character's husband shares that role.


The two leading nominees are The Last of Us with seven nominations and The Fall of the House of Usher with six nominations. The Last of Us leads television nominees because "the parenthetical comment that 'Superhero categories also include Comic Book and Video Game Inspired series' is doing a lot of heavy lifting here, resulting in duplicate nominations for show, actor, and actress. Without that, The Last of Us would have only four nominations, but The Fall of the House of Usher would still have all six. Just the same, I think The Last of Us has the advantage, as it had three nominations at the main Critics' Choice Awards for Drama Series, Actor in a Drama Series, and Actress in a Drama Series, while The Fall of the House of Usher only had two for Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie Made for Television, only one of whom earned a nomination for Best Villain in a Series, Limited Series or Made-For-TV Movie.

The CCA including Yellowjackets here while The Saturn Awards placed it in Action/Adventure/Thriller shows a difference in philosophy between the two awards shows. As I wrote about M3GAN, "if the terror is technological, not supernatural, the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Films considers it science fiction, not horror." Also, if the terror is just other people, the Saturn Awards considers it to be a thriller, not horror. The CCA considers it all to be horror. I can make a similar point about Ghosts, which is a comedy. The Saturn Awards usually classify comedies with horror elements as fantasy, but I guess the supernatural element with a type of undead is enough to convince the CCA to classify Ghosts as horror, even though there's nothing scary about the show.


The best actor here is Emmy nominee Pedro Pascal and I'm pretty sure he'll win, although Bruce Greenwood might give him a run for his money.


Emmy nominee Bella Ramsey is my choice here, although Melanie Lynskey or Carla Gugino could upset her.


Star Trek: Picard was the big winner at the Saturn Awards bringing home four statuettes, but it earned no nominations at the main Critics' Choice Awards. On the other hand, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds earned two nominations at the main awards for Drama Series and Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. I think that's enough for me to write that it's favored. Remember, electorates matter.


Patrick Stewart is a previous winner of this award as well as the current Saturn Awards winner, so I think he's favored. The next biggest names are Kurt Russell followed by Anson Mount.


I like this field much better than the actors. Michelle Yeoh is an Oscar winner. Annie Murphy is an Emmy winner. Jeri Ryan is a Saturn Award winner. Rosario Dawson is a Gold Derby Award winner. Betty Gilpin is a Critics Choice Super Awards winner. Finally, Celia Rose Gooding is a Critics' Choice Award nominee. Yeoh is probably the best overall actress, but I don't think she has the best role. That might go to Rosario Dawson.


Superman & Lois may have won the equivalent Saturn Award, but I don't think it will win here because it's competing against Loki and The Last of Us. I plan on voting for Loki at the next Saturn Awards, but I think The Last of Us will be more likely to win. Again, "Superhero categories also include Comic Book and Video Game Inspired series" is having a major effect. This includes Ahsoka, as the title character has appeared in a lot of Star Wars video games.


Pedro Pascal may win this award as well, but Tom Hiddleston won Best Actor in a Superhero Series two years ago. I know the CCA likes him and electorates matter.


I think this is between Michelle Yeoh and Bella Ramsey with Rosario Dawson as a spoiler.


Carla Gugino and Melanie Lynskey also have nominations for Best Actress in a Horror Series, so I think they're favored. Mary McDonnell may have a Critics' Choice Awards nomination for this role, so the CCA likes her, but her role isn't as big as Gugino's and she isn't as scary.

That's it for today's installment. I plan on returning tomorrow with the winners for First Contact Day. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment