Monday, January 22, 2024

Ron DeSantis drops out after finishing second in Iowa

I concluded 'Trump' brags about his cognitive abilities as 'SNL' returns after winning 2 Emmy Awards by telling my readers to stay tuned for either more Emmy coverage so long as Last Week Tonight with John Oliver broadcasts a new episode tonight. If not, I would come up with something. There was no new episode of Last Week Tonight last night, so something else it is. Fortunately for me, Ron DeSantis dropped out just after I uploaded yesterday's post, so he's now the subject of today's entry. See Ron DeSantis end his 2024 run from MSNBC.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced that he is dropping out of the race and suspending his 2024 presidential campaign in a video he posted on X formerly known as Twitter.
It's no secret that I dislike DeSantis, but I dislike Donald Trump more, so I couldn't resist Susan Del Percio pushing back on Alex Witt asking if it would be smart for Trump to pick Nikki Haley for his running mate to unify the party by saying "I never look to Trump and say 'Will he make the smart decision?' What I do is what is the decision that best fits his ego, and Nikki Haley doesn't match that." I agree, which is why Elise Stefanik has been appealing to his ego, yet I think Kristi Noem would be more likely to be picked. Del Percio's prediction of Katie Britt hadn't occurred to me, but now that she's mentioned it, I can see it.

On a related subject, I just haven't felt enthused enough about the primaries to do what I did in 2016 and 2020, make images of the candidates' ideologies and find drinks for them. It would have been relatively easy for DeSantis, as he served in Congress and has a Voteview page to go along with his On The Issues page, but I never felt it. Now I'm glad I didn't; it saved me work I didn't have to do.

Follow over the jump for videos about what went wrong and what it means for Haley in tomorrow's New Hampshire Primary.

I return to MSNBC reporting 'Doomed from the beginning': Why the DeSantis campaign failed.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has ended his run for the White House two days before the New Hampshire primary. "He just never caught fire," says former Biden-Harris advisor Adrienne Elrod. "A lot of it had to do with his personality."
I couldn't resist the clip of James Austin Johnson as Donald Trump dumping on DeSantis. I also agree with Brendan Buck. Why vote for Trump Lite when one could vote for the real thing?

Moving on to tomorrow's primary, MSNBC asked Will former Ron DeSantis supporters in New Hampshire turn to Trump — or Nikki Haley?

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis suspended his 2024 campaign Sunday and endorsed Donald Trump. MSNBC's Jen Psaki is joined by NBC News Correspondents Ali Vitali and Dasha Burns and NBC News Senior Political Editor Mark Murray to discuss what happens next for Desantis' supporters.
The answer appears to be Trump by two to one over Haley among Republican Primary voters. That may not include the undeclared and Democratic crossover voters who would be likely to vote in New Hampshire tomorrow. Whether they will be enough to keep Haley close or even upset Trump remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment