Sunday, January 28, 2024

'SNL' tackles E. Jean Carroll judgment, DeSantis endorsement, Nikki Haley, and more

As I promised twice, it's time for the highlights of last night's Saturday Night Live. This time, I begin with Weekend Update, which opened with Trump Ordered to Pay $83 Million, DeSantis Endorses Trump.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like Nikki Haley demanding Trump take a mental competency test.
My, what a busy week on the campaign trail, from Ron DeSantis dropping out and endorsing Trump through Nikki Haley coming in second in New Hampshire then ramping up her attacks on Trump, to the second E. Jean Carroll trial. It's all Trump, so I made sure not to include his name in the subject line. SNL and I gave him enough oxygen, so I want to deny him what little I can.  It's bad enough that his picture is in the preview image.

Mentioning the Oscars, including Lily Gladstone's nomination, Gozilla Minus One, which I expect to see on the next Saturn Awards ballot, and Oppenheimer, qualifies this as the Sunday entertainment feature. Weekend Update will have more to say about the Oscars after British Museums Return Ghana Artifacts, Disney Maternity Ward Rumor, which continues with the arts and entertainment content.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like a man threatening people with a knife at a Planet Fitness.
I watch a lot of theme park channels and none of them mentioned this rumor, so that's about the status I accord to it, rumor — that, or an urban legend, like Walt's frozen head, which isn't true because the man was cremated.

Follow over the jump for Weekend Update's interview segments, the host monologue, and the cold open, which wasn't about politics for once.

I wrote that Weekend Update would have more to say about the Oscars, or at least awards shows, so here is the first interview segment, A Guy Named Ethan on the 2024 Oscars Snubs.

A Guy Named Ethan (Bowen Yang) stops by Weekend Update to discuss the 2024 Oscar nominations.
I hope Bowen Yang brings back A Guy Named Ethan to send up the Oscar winners and especially losers.

Weekend Update concluded with Tarot Reader Jan Janby on the 2024 Election.

Tarot Reader Jan Janby (Heidi Gardner) stops by Weekend Update to discuss her predictions for the 2024 election.
Nope, the fortune was all about Michael Che, but it was still hilarious. Those cards were great props and the order for the reading was *chef's kiss.* By the way, this is making fun of a tarot card reader on Fox News, who drew the Five of Cups for Trump, which she read as "a sense of loss." I sure hope so.

I was going to leave out Dakota Johnson Monologue until I saw that she made a joke about Taylor Swift being the most powerful person in America. I couldn't resist sharing after that.

Second-time host Dakota Johnson talks about her movie Madame Web and being taken out of context when talking to journalists.
She's Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith's daughter? How did I not know that and why do I feel stupid not knowing that? Never mind, I know why I feel stupid. On top of that, she's Tippi Hendren's grand-daughter. I'm not going to forget any of that!

Speaking of stupid, here's to hoping Madame Web doesn't earn at least one Razzie Award nomination next year and Johnson doesn't earn one as well for her role. She already has two Razzie Awards for Fifty Shades of Grey; she doesn't need more.

Taylor Swift, the Oscars, and the Emmys all got mentioned in NFL Championship Sunday Cold Open.

Sports commentators cover the latest news about the 2024 AFC Championship between the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens.
Since I moved from California to Michigan, I think they're satirizing the wrong game, but then they couldn't have made a Taylor Swift joke. Priorities.

That concludes today's episode highlights post. Stay tuned for more awards show coverage tomorrow now that I know the winners of the Environmental Media Association (EMA) Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment