Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Examiner.com article about Free Press referendum endorsements

Caption: The Detroit Free Press issued its endorsements of the six referendums on Michigan's ballot.
Credits: Scott Olson/Getty Images
Detroit Free Press referendum endorsements maintain status quo
On Sunday, the Detroit Free Press issued its endorsements for the six proposals on the statewide ballot, recommending a yes vote on Proposal 1 and no votes on the other five.

Voting as the paper suggested would maintain the status quo. There would be no changes to Michigan's constitution and no laws would be repealed.
...
The Free Press agonized over both Proposal 2 and Proposal 3, as the paper has supported both labor and renewable energy over the years. On the other hand, it easily dismissed Proposals 4, 5, and 6.
For a summary of the Freep's editorial, click on the link in the headline.

For what it's worth, this is not how I would vote. I'm voting no on Proposal 1, as I think the assault on democracy and local control is a cure worse than the disease. I'm also voting yes on Proposals 2, 3, and 4. I'll have more to say about Proposal 3 in particular. Until then, I recommend reading Brian Dickerson: Why I'm voting for renewable energy.

However, I agree with the Detroit Free Press on the rest. I'm voting no on Proposals 5 and 6. My stance on Proposal 6 should come as no surprise, given what I've already posted in New Detroit-Windsor Bridge: Up with Snyder and down with Maroun and Video updates from WXYZ and WOOD on "Vagina" and bridge. Matty Maroun can go to Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment