Happy 4th of July! I told my readers to "stay tuned for a drum corps 4th of July" at the end of "The Walking Dead" leads 2017 Saturn Awards television winners. To celebrate I'm sharing two videos from one of the oldest competitive junior drum corps in existance, The Cadets, followed by two videos from Tipsy Bartender. Yes, I'm combining two of my Fourth of July traditions. Here's to hoping it works as well as Drink to a late drum corps Earth Day, when I first combined drum corps, booze, and holidays.*
First, the finale of the 1995 Cadets program, An American Quintet.
Next, a video I included in the first drum corps 4th of July post three years ago, the finale of Cadets 2002 show, An American Revival.
After forming an American flag drill formation and re-creating the famed raising of the Stars and Stripes on Iwo Jima, the corps staged the image of the three firemen raising the flag amidst the rubble of the fallen towers. During the corps' final performance of the season, screaming sirens and flashing lights on fire trucks stationed across the street were activated, perfectly capturing the mood of a country still recovering from the attacks 11 months earlier.Now to continue my other 4th of July tradition, Drink recipes for July 4th from Tipsy Bartender. Follow over the jump for this year's recipes.
Skyy and company begin this year's celebration with an All American Daiquiri.
ALL AMERICAN DAIQUIRINow, the big finish,
3 oz. (90ml) White Rum
4 oz. (120ml) Blue Curacao
2 oz. (60ml) Pineapple Juice
6 oz. Frozen Strawberries
4 oz. (120ml) Cream of Coconut
Garnish: Whipped Cream/Cherry
1. Add ice, frozen strawberries, 2 oz of white rum and a splash of grenadine to a blender and combine until smooth.
2. Pour into base of glass and set aside.
3. Rinse blender and add ice, 1 oz white rum, blue curaçao, pineapple juice and cream of coconut. Blend well.
4. Layer mix on top of red layer and garnish with whipped cream and a cherry. Enjoy responsibly!
Four 4th of July Drinks.
4TH OF JULY JELLO SHOTSYum! Once again, a Happy 4th of July to my American readers. The Canadians can't have all the fun!
2 oz. (60ml) Blue Raspberry Vodka
2 oz. (60ml) Coconut Rum
2 oz. (60ml) Strawberry Vodka
24 oz. (720ml) Hot Water
4 oz. (120ml) Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 oz. Berry Blue Jell-O
3 oz. Strawberry Jell-O
2 Packet Knox Unflavored Gelatin
1 Star Mold
1 Flat Pan
1. Add berry blue jello to 1 cup of boiling water and stir well. Allow to cool before adding blue raspberry vodka and stirring once more. Pour liquid into flat pan and place in fridge to set.
2. Add 2 packets of unflavored gelatin to a cup of hot water and stir until combined. Pour in condensed milk and mix well. Allow to cool. Once cool pour in coconut rum, stir and gently layer onto of blue jello. Place in fridge to set.
3. Cut the base off of maraschino cherries and place throughout the pan.
4. To a cup of boiling water add strawberry jello mix and stir until combined. Allow to cool. Add strawberry vodka and gently layer on top of white jello layer.
5. Place the star cookie mold around each cherry and press firmly through jello. Remove from mold and serve. Enjoy responsibly!
1 Part Blue Curacao
1 Part White Creme De Cacao
1 Part Grenadine
1. Add grenadine to base of shot glass, stopping 1/3rd of the way up.
2. Using a bar spoon gently layer white creme de cacao on top of grenadine.
3. Finally layer blue curaçao on top. Enjoy responsibly!
RED, WHITE & BLUE SANGRIA
4 oz. (120ml) White Wine
1 oz. (60ml) Vodka
1 oz. (60ml) Peach Schnapps
Yellow Canary Melon
Star Cookie Cutter
1. Using a star shaped cookie cutter create stars in slices of melon.
2. Drop star shaped melon, raspberries and blueberries into base of wine glass and top with vodka and peach schnapps.
3. Top with wine and garnish with a melon star. Enjoy responsibly!
Red Layer -
1 1/2 oz. (45ml) Raspberry Vodka
3 oz. (90ml) Red Hawaiian Punch
1/2 oz. (15ml) Grenadine
White Layer -
1 1/2 oz. (45ml) Coconut Rum
3 oz. (90ml) Sobe Pina Colada
Blue Layer -
1 oz. (30ml) Blue Raspberry Vodka
1/2 oz. (15ml) Blue Curacao
3 oz. (90ml) Blue Gatorade
1. Add ice, raspberry vodka, fruit punch gatorade and grenadine to blender and combine until smooth. Pour into base of hurricane glass.
2. Next add ice, coconut rum and pina colada drink to blender and combine until smooth. Layer over red using a bar spoon.
3. Finally add ice, blue raspberry vodka, blue curaçao and blue gatorade to blender and combine. Gently layer on top of white.
4. Garnish with a strawberry. Enjoy responsibly!
*Drum corps, drinks, and holidays -- I can't imagine a more stereotypical Crazy Eddie post. Can you?
ETA: Youth Education in the Arts (The Cadets' parent organization) posted the following video to their YouTube channel today.
Happy Fourth of July from The Cadets!