Tuesday, December 12, 2017

An attack ad and drink for today's special Senate election in Alabama


I haven't had anything to say about the Alabama special election for U.S. Senator here.  Since it's being held today, I'd better hurry before the entire topic turns into a pumpkin.  Besides, last week I wrote about Conyers resigns, setting up scramble for his seat, so it's time to give a Republican equal time for his problems.

Talking Points Memo posted both the video of a web attack ad and its text.

“Roy Moore has infiltrated our Alabama communities and his rap sheet reads like a serial sexual predator,” the ad’s narrator says as prison rap sheet-like images with Moore’s face flash onscreen. “His record from the Alabama Supreme Court paints an even darker picture. Judge Moore has repeatedly sided with rapists and sexual predators. These aren’t Alabama values. On Tuesday, Dec. 12, vote no on Roy Moore.”
This makes Moore sound like he should be in the slammer instead of the Senate.  His opponent, Doug Jones, actually put people in the slammer as a U.S. Attorney.  Hmm.  I have the drink with the perfect name for this contest, the Alabama Slammer.  Take it away Skyy and Brittany!

It's fun, delicious and easy to make...THE ALABAMA SLAMMER! This supposedly a favorite drink of NFL Quarterback Brett Favre.
...
THE ALABAMA SLAMMER
3/4 oz. (22ml) Sloe Gin
3/4 oz. (22ml) Southern Comfort
3/4 oz. (22ml) Amaretto
Top with Orange Juice
The Alabama Slammer, a place Moore is lucky to have avoided.  May the voters of Alabama agree with me today that Moore should not be in the U.S. Senate.

ETA: On the Booman Tribune version of this post, I added a music video:

I close with a song dedication to Moore: Little Girls by Oingo Boingo.



Welcome to Moore's new theme song.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that at least some Democrats are fighting as ruthlessly as the Republicans normally do. If Jones wins, I hope our people elsewhere in the country will learn from this.

    The Oingo Boingo video leaves me feeling a bit skin-crawly. In fact, I'm glad this election will soon be behind us and we can stop talking about this stuff.

    I don't know how I missed being aware that you also post at Booman Tribune. I read it pretty regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad groups allied with the Democrats are fighting hard, too, and hope others learn from this victory as well.

      I had a similar reaction. In my first draft, I wrote "that video is creepier now than when I first saw it more than 30 years ago." Back then, I wasn't a parent. Now, I have two daughters.

      I'm not one of the two front pagers. I'm over on the far right under "Recent Diaries," which appear under the Neon Vincent username.

      Delete