Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Happy First Contact Day, a Star Trek holiday


Happy First Contact Day. Star Trek! Last year, I quoted the fictional holiday's description from National Day Calendar, posted a fan video of "First Contact," and noted that First Contact Day, which passes for Star Trek Day, on 4/5 is a mirror image of 5/4, Star Wars Day. That turns out to be a fortuitous coincidence, but a fun one just the same. This year, I'm going through with what I resisted last year, embedding Star Trek: First Contact Day Trailer.

Celebrate First Contact Day on April 5, an event that includes themed panels featuring the cast and creative minds from Star Trek, exciting announcements and your favorite "First Contact" episodes from the Star Trek Universe.
I embedded this in a Dreamwidth post last year, noting "I rejected the following video for Celebrate First Contact Day on 4/5, a Star Trek Day that mirrors Star Wars Day on 5/4 because it was too much of a commercial." Today, I'm feeling like promoting "Star Trek," so I'm embedding it here. Besides, the virtual event it was promoting is over.

First Contact Day, unlike Star Wars Day, is celebrated in-universe.* Here is a clip of one such celebration from "Star Trek: Voyager," Celebrate First Contact Day from a fan account with the date of first contact, April 5, 2063.



Star Trek Voyager Homestead Season 7 Episode 169

And peace and long life to you!

Since I'm in a promotional mood, I'm sharing Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | Official Trailer from Paramount+.

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series will feature fan favorites from season two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the years before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.
I embedded an earlier trailer for this series in another Dreamwidth post and quoted my comment on it, along with the remark that prompted me to respond.
Someone quipped "Must hold the record for the largest gap between pilot episode and series commission" about this trailer, referring to the first "Star Trek" pilot "The Cage." I responded "That pilot was ahead of its time. We just didn't know how far ahead of its time it was until now."
I'm looking forward to it. I've waited most of my life for it.

*The in-universe equivalent for Star Wars would be Life Day, one of the legacies of the Star Wars Holiday Special. Technically, it falls on November 17th and was originally a stand-in for Thanksgiving, but over the years, it has turned into Star Wars Christmas, so many fans celebrate it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment