Sunday, April 17, 2022

'SNL' shares Easter wishes in its cold open

Happy Easter! I'm opening today's holiday post with Easter Wishes Cold Open from "Saturday Night Live."*

The Easter Bunny (Bowen Yang) invites Dr. Fauci (Kate McKinnon), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Cecily Strong), Mayor Eric Adams (Chris Redd), Elon Musk (Mikey Day), Britney Spears (Chloe Fineman), Jared Leto (Kyle Mooney), and Donald Trump (James Austin Johnson) to share their Easter wishes.
I'm glad to see Kate McKinnon return as Dr. Fauci for a holiday greeting. I'm not so glad to hear her say that she's not giving any advice because we wouldn't listen to it anyway. She's not wrong, but I wish it wasn't so. On the other hand, I am pleased that my snarky prediction "It will be a great four years — for Chris Redd and his fans" is so far coming true. I'm still not so sure if it will be a good four years for NYC Mayor Eric Adams.

Now for a comedic look at last week's news, Weekend Update: Biden’s Approval Rating Drops, Elon Musk Wants to Buy Twitter.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week’s biggest news, like JetBlue offering to buy Spirit Airlines.
Comparing Biden's approval rating to "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" is funny, but the approval rating itself is not. The good news is that particular poll is a negative outlier. The bad news is that FiveThirtyEight calculates Biden's approval rating at 41.6% approve and 52.2% disapprove. Yikes!

Since the second segment of last night's Weekend Update did not have an Easter theme, I'm embedding one of last year's segments, Weekend Update: Smokery Farm’s Easter Meats.

Wylene and Vaneta Starkie (Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon) of Smokery Farms meat gift delivery service stop by Weekend Update to show off their Easter meat selections.
I'm not sure the subject is all that funny, but Bryant and McKinnon sure are.

That's it for this year's Easter celebration on this blog. Enjoy your Easter, wherever you are!

*If I had followed my usual pattern, I'd have posted a drum corps video featuring Easter music, but I just wasn't feeling it today. Maybe next year or the year after, depending on whether my other usual source of Easter content, Tipsy Bartender, produces anything for the holiday. This year, they didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment