Saturday, January 21, 2023

Happy Year of the Water Rabbit!

Happy Lunar New Year! So long, Year of the Water Tiger! Welcome to the Year of the Water Rabbit!* KREM 2 News in Spokane, Washington explained the holiday in Lunar New Year 2023: Year of the Rabbit | What to Know.

Happy Lunar New Year! People from east and southeast Asian cultures across the world are ringing in a new year of prosperity, hope, and calm.
That was not only a good overview of the holiday, but an in-depth examination of being Asian-American and a fun cooking video. Yum!

ABC7 News Bay Area uploaded a briefer and more focused segment asking Lunar New Year 2023: What's in store for Year of the Rabbit?

The Chinese Zodiac animal for this Lunar New Year is the rabbit. Here's what that means and some surprising facts about this Lunar New Year.
I knew that the Jewish calendar had leap months, but I didn't know that the east Asian lunar calendar had leap months as well. I should have figured it out, but it never occurred to me. As I've written many times before, it's a good day when I learn something new.

This holiday is all about culture and tradition, so I'm returning to my tradition of showing Disney's way of celebrating the holiday with WDW News Today's Mulan's Lunar New Year Procession at Disney California Adventure 2023.


I'm being a good environmentalist by recycling my reaction to 2020's Happy Year of the Metal Rat! "I don't know how authentically Chinese it is, but it is authentically Disney, which makes it authentically American." I didn't make a prediction about which Disney animated character would portray this year's animal because Disney has a number of choices, many of whom appear in the following image.


Frankly, I wouldn't have picked Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, but I'm not surprised. "Lucky Rabbit" is very on-brand for this holiday.

Next year will be the Year of the Dragon, so Mushu will be the star. He's already in the parade.

Enough of this year's festivities. It's time to conclude this post with the generic greetings I've recycled many times over.

Mandarin: Gong Xi Fa Cai/Xin Nian Kuai Le

Cantonese: Kung Hei Fat Choi

Hokkien (Fujian/Taiwanese): Kiong Hee Huat Tsai/Sin Ni khòai lok

Simplified Chinese: 恭喜发财 新年快乐

Traditional Chinese: 恭喜發財 新年快樂

Stay tuned for the return of "Saturday Night Live" for both new years.

*It's not yet Lunar New Year here in Michigan, but it already
is in China, so I'm not really jumping the gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment