Sunday, May 2, 2021

Disneyland reopens as more than 100 million Americans are fully vaccinated, a pandemic update

I changed my mind about today's topic since Wednesday. Instead of integrating clips of the acceptance speeches and interviews for "Nomadland" into a final Oscar post for the Sunday Entertainment feature, I'm updating California theme parks may reopen as early as April 1, no fooling! A pandemic update. I felt it was less work and more fun.*

I begin with Disneyland Reopens Amid Signs Of A COVID-19 Recovery from NBC's Today Show.

Thousands of fans descended on Disneyland for the first time in more than a year as the California theme park reopened with capacity capped at 25 percent. Yet amid signs of the U.S. returning to normal, there is growing concern as the demand for COVID-19 vaccines declines. NBC’s Guad Venegas reports for Weekend TODAY.
After seeing all those happy park-goers run in at rope drop, I found it sobering to see and hear all the reminders that the pandemic is still raging in the U.S. and that half of the country is not yet vaccinated. My wife and I are not among them; we received our second shots two weeks ago, so we're among the 100 million fully vaccinated. As for the rest of you, if you can get vaccinated, please do so!

While Today opened its segment with the park reopening while shifting to and emphasizing the pandemic, MSNBC reversed the order, beginning with vaccination news before reporting on the reopening, including interviewing an attendee in Disneyland Welcomes Back Guests For First Time Today.

Disneyland welcomes back guests for first time today. NBC News Correspondent Simone Boyce joins Katy Tur with more.
Yes, it does feel like returning back to normal. Just be aware that we're not there yet.

Also, I can tell I haven't been watching as much MSNBC as I used to, because this is the first I've heard that Katy Tur is expecting another child. No congratulations yet, instead I'm wishing her an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy daughter later this month.

It's not just visitors who are thrilled to have Disneyland reopen. CBS News reported on the economic effects outside the parks in Disneyland reopens and nearby small businesses rejoice as customers return.

One Anaheim, California, business owner said it will take him two years to recoup the losses associated with Disneyland's COVID-19 closure. He's grateful for any amount of foot traffic as the famed theme park reopens to visitors, even at partial capacity.
I'm glad the two small business owners interviewed were able to survive the shutdown. As the report mentions, many others were not so fortunate.

The owner of the Castle Inn & Suites said that business would improve when out of state residents could visit the parks. The Los Angeles Times mentioned that restriction in Disneyland reopens. What to expect.

Disneyland has reopened after more than a yearlong closure due to the coronavirus pandemic. Los Angeles Times reporter Todd Martens details what visitors can expect as the park adheres to COVID policies.
As I expected last June, visiting the parks "will...be a much more careful and much less crowded experience than it was before the pandemic."

Speaking of last June, I'll be a good environmentalist and recycle what I wrote then with additional commentary from this March.
Both news items tie into what I first wrote in 2011, "America is quite clear about its screwed up priorities­. My experience has convinced me that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with their entertainm­ent." I elaborated on that in both Possibly (not) the last Detroit Fireworks Show and Christmas music from the Cadets and Crazy Eddie's Motie News, adding "Americans want their entertainment, and will do just about anything to keep it going." The pandemic keeping the parks closed is definitely messing with Americans' entertainment.
Once again, many Americans are being clear about their priorities. They've had enough of the pandemic messing with their entertainment and are happy to have it back, regardless of the public health consequences. Sigh. As I wrote last month, "My friend Nebris thinks this is one of my great insights. I'm sure it is, but, like Jimmy [Kimmel], I wish it weren't true."
*My other choice for today's topic was Anthony Mackie as the new Captain America. My wife liked that idea better than this one, so stay tuned to see if I write about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment