Monday, September 3, 2018

TED-Ed on the history of Labor Day


Happy Labor Day from metro Detroit!  To celebrate the holiday, I offer this history lesson from TED-Ed: Why do Americans and Canadians celebrate Labor Day? -Kenneth C. Davis.

In the United States and Canada, the first Monday of September is a federal holiday, Labor Day. Originally celebrated in New York City's Union Square in 1882, Labor Day was organized by unions as a rare day of rest for the overworked during the Industrial Revolution. Kenneth C. Davis illustrates the history of Labor Day from Union Square to today.
I learned something from that.  I hope my readers did, too.

As my regular readers know, I like to celebrate my holidays with a drink.  WXYZ managed to provide one along with a local Detroit angle in Cocktails for Labor Day Weekend.


Yum!  Enjoy your Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment