Sunday, February 20, 2022

A comedic history of HBCU marching bands by 'The Daily Show'

For this week's Sunday entertainment feature, I'm sharing Dul-Sayin’ - The Impact of HBCU Marching Bands | The Daily Show for Black History Month.

Dulcé Sloan breaks down how Black marching bands became the phenomenon they are today in another Dul-Sayin’.
For my reaction, I'm going to be a good environmentalist by recycling my conclusion from Trevor Noah on First Ladies for Women's History Month.
[I]t's a good day when I learn something new, even from comedy. To paraphrase what I wrote two years ago, I learned more from ten minutes of reporting laced with comedy than I would have from ten minutes of straight reporting. I hope my readers do, too.
In this case, it's five minutes of comedy, but the idea still stands.

Speaking of straight reporting, follow over the jump for two videos about HBCU's in general and one HBCU marching band in particular.

First, a video featuring "one of my favorite HBCU bands...Jackson State University," as I wrote in Marching music for the Michigan, Washington, Mississippi, and Democrats Abroad primaries, At This College, Fans Cheer for the Marching Band from the now-inactive Great Big Story.

It takes blood, sweat, tears and a whole lot of long hours to be one of the best marching bands in the country. Just ask Abraham Duffie, Jr., head drum major for the Sonic Boom of the South. He’s been with the band his whole college career at Mississippi’s Jackson State University, teaching music, providing direction and leading his bandmates in grueling physical training.
That looks as intense as anything I did in drum corps and more intense than anything I did in marching band.

Now for some encouraging news about HBCUs in general from ABC News, HBCUs see soaring applications.

ABC News’ Kenneth Moton reports on historically black colleges and universities seeing a surge in popularity, bucking application trends for colleges.
That may have been more informative, but I still think I learned more from Dulcé Sloan. She was more fun.

That's it for entertainment and education today. Stay tuned for Presidents Day tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I once worked at an animation house in Dallas. We were approached by a client who was making a game called Black College Football. We did animations for the half time shows with drum majors, dancers, steppers, you name it. Amazing moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it "Black College Football: BCFX: The Xperience"? You may have created one of the best parts of the game based on the reviews. Wikipedia quoted a review that said "the developer 'built in a pretty entertaining playable halftime show...'" If that was you, congratulations!
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_College_Football:_BCFX:_The_Xperience

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because the last commenter wrote about video games doesn't mean you get to, too. That comment was on-topic. Yours is just spam. Deleted.

      Delete