Wednesday, February 23, 2022

UCLA study shows high-risk fire days in southern California could double by 2100

Another climate study came out last week in addition to the determination that the American West is in the worst drought during past 1,200 years. CBS Los Angeles reported UCLA Study Shows Southern California Wildfire Risk Will Continue To Increase.

It seems like there are major wildfires in Southern California every year and a new report from UCLA predicts things will only get worse. The study shows the number of days with a high risk of fires could double by the end of the century.
It's Glen MacDonald, not Park Williams, explaining the findings, but he's also a professor in the UCLA Geography Department. On the one hand, go Bruins! On the other hand, yikes! I thought California's year-round fire season was bad enough already, but it's going to get worse.

CBS Sacramento also reported New UCLA Study Predicts More Fires In CA.

A new study out of UCLA predicts more disastrous fires throughout California.
I found this clip worth including just for the spectacular fire footage.

KTLA included a relevant location, a fire station, in High-risk fire days could double by 2100 due to climate change, study finds.


I hope Californians respond by making their developed environment more able to survive the increased fire risk and by joining the rest of the world in reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. I'm doing my part by reducing my driving because of the pandemic. I don't expect that will last past May, when I will probably return to in-person teaching and commuting, but we'll see.

That should conclude my climate change blogging for the month unless another study comes out that makes the news. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment