Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Fauci on MSNBC: 'COVID is not done with the U.S., nor...the world,' a pandemic update

I last wrote "the virus isn't done with us even though a lot [of people] are acting as if they're done with it" in ASAPScience asks 'When Will COVID End?' MSNBC featured that thought from Dr. Fauci: You May Be ‘Done With Covid,’ But Covid Isn’t Done With The U.S.

“You may be done with Covid, but Covid is not done with the United States—nor is it done with the world. We’ve got to do what it takes to get it to be done,” says Dr. Fauci, stressing the importance of boosters and vaccinations.
This, along with both Hayes and Fauci stressing the importance of vaccines and booster shots, are two of the messages about the pandemic I've been reinforcing.

Speaking of vaccines, Dr. Fauci appeared on MSNBC earlier yesterday to give an update on vaccines for preschooler Fauci: ‘No Doubt About Safety’ Of Vaccines For Children Under 5.

Dr. Anthony Fauci joins MSNBC’s Hallie Jackson to discuss the possibility of a three-dose regimen for young children, as well as the handling of state mask mandates.
The loosening of mask requirements strikes me as another example of Americans being done with the pandemic even though the pandemic isn't done with us. I picked up groceries just before sunset last Friday and the number of people out about and going into restaurants without masks surprised me. Thousands of Americans were dying of COVID-19 each day last week, and people have decided to accept it as normal. I'm being a good environmentalist and recycling the insight I included in Stephen Colbert and Dr. Sanjay Gupta discuss reopening the country, a pandemic update.
"America is quite clear about its screwed up priorities­. My experience has convinced me that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with their entertainm­ent" and "Americans want their entertainment, and will do just about anything to keep it going."
As I wrote last year, "My friend Nebris thinks this is one of my great insights. I'm sure it is, but...I wish it weren't true."

CNN weighed in yesterday as well in Dr. Fauci says delay of Covid-19 vaccine for kids under 5 is not setback.

Dr. Anthony Fauci speaks with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer and gives his reaction to the FDA’s announcement that it had postponed a scheduled meeting to go over data from Pfizer and BioNTech’s vaccine trials and make a recommendation on whether a two-dose vaccine regimen should be authorized for children 6 months to 5 years old.
I think the reaction to the delay is another sign of people wanting to get back to normal, but at least it's not pandemic denial or vaccine skepticism. Also, if the science says that a three-dose vaccine for kids is safe and more effective than two doses, then the delay will be the right decision in the long run. In the short run, it's disappointing.

The pandemic continues, but I'm done with it for today, at least on this blog. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment