Sunday, February 27, 2022

CNBC explores 'Why The Future Of The Oscars And Emmys Might Be In Jeopardy'

CNBC brings a tale of collapse and decline for this week's Sunday entertainment feature, Why The Future Of The Oscars And Emmys Might Be In Jeopardy.

[T]he Oscars and Emmys are the two oldest entertainment award ceremonies. Making their broadcasting debut to millions of televisions in the 1950s, the Oscars and Emmys have had a stronghold on the entertainment award-show zeitgeist. However, in 2021, viewership for award shows has been steadily declining. On top of dwindling in ratings, the prestigious Hollywood events have also been hit with controversies and protests that jeopardize these award shows as we’ve come to know them.
This video speaks to me, because if it weren't for the pandemic and climate change news, I'd normally be all awards shows all the time now, just like I was before the Emmy Awards, but I'm just not feeling it. Yes, I'll get to the posts about "Flee" and "Dune" I promised in Trevor Noah, Joy Reid, and Tiffany Cross interview Questlove, director of Oscar-nominated documentary 'Summer of Soul', but, like the declining viewership for awards shows in general, my interest is starting to wane, mostly because those posts might be more work than I want to put in today and also because I should watch movies like "Power of the Dog" that are available on streaming before I opine on them. Besides, I think I covered much of what I think is important in 'King Richard,' 'West Side Story,' 'Pose,' and more diversity among Golden Globes winners for MLK Day. Read that for a pre-Oscars take on the acting nominees.

I might have more to say about the decline in awards show viewership later. In the meantime, stay tuned for an entry on Russian invasion of Ukraine for the final post of the month.

2 comments:

  1. My simple take on the decline -- they're boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a matter of taste, because I watch them to see if my predictions come true, which may be disappointing but isn't boring. On the other hand, you may be in good company in thinking so, which would make it a valid reason for their shrinking viewership.

      Delete