Monday, May 30, 2022

Taps Across America on Memorial Day 2022

I wish my readers a somber Memorial Day. For this year's observance, I'm featuring Taps Across America again. Watch Inside Edition asking What Is ‘Taps Across America’ Memorial Day Tribute?

Veterans and other people all across America are answering a special Memorial Day request this year. At precisely 3 p.m. local time, wherever they are, they will all be playing “Taps.” One third-generation veteran will be strumming his guitar, while another man took trumpet lessons for seven months to be able to participate. The powerful tribute was dreamed up by CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman, who says, “The amazing thing about ‘Taps’ is it means different things to different people.”
WUSA9 gave more airtime to Steve Hartman in Show your patriotic spirit this Memorial Day during "Taps across America".

CBS News Correspondent Steve Hartman urges musicians to play "Taps" at 3pm on Memorial Day to honor Americans who gave their lives for our country.
While the CBS Sunday Morning video I embedded two years ago mentioned Hartman, it didn't hit me how much of a personal campaign backed by his employer Taps Across America was at the time. Watching these videos made me realize it. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea; I rather like it. As I wrote in 2020, "I'll be listening at 3:00 P.M. local time for anyone playing 'Taps.' I hope my readers are, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment