Tuesday, November 8, 2022

John Oliver examines election subversion

I'm continuing my comedic election coverage with Election Subversion: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO).

With midterm elections approaching, John Oliver discusses what happens after the votes are in, how some elected officials might try to negate legitimate election results, and which teletubby would taste best.
While presented as comedy, all of this reminds me of a quote attributed to Stalin: "I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how." That's scary, not funny.

It also reminds me of what I wrote in Lawrence O'Donnell says 'America's Future Is On The Ballot In Pennsylvania'.
I agree with O'Donnell; the Electoral College is an anti-democratic institution has become a target for manipulation. It's why I wrote "The real election is the Electoral College, which votes on December 14, 2020. That's followed by a joint session of the new Congress on January 6, 2021," followed by "Trump is trying to game those steps to get electors who will vote for him."
TFG and the Republican Party that is now following him are also trying to get election officials to certify results favorable to him, regardless of what the people actually voted for — a republic not a democracy indeed!

As for "2000 Mules," I fully expect it to be nominated for several Razzies and it will deserve every nomination.

In response to Nick Offerman's admonition to vote, I'm sharing "I Have Faked An American Accent So Many Times" - John Oliver On Voting In The United States from last night's "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."

Stephen's interview with John Oliver continues with a chat about what it means for him to vote in the midterm elections for the first time. Stick around for more with the host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight."
Welcome to citizenship and I hope you don't regret it after today's election.

Instead of returning with the second half of Colbert's interview with Oliver, I'm sharing "A Very Merry Midterms" - The Perfect Album For Midterms Eve.

These are the midterm classics exactly how you remember them.
I'd be laughing harder if I didn't find this frightening.

Stay tuned for posts about the results tomorrow and hope they actually get counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment