Sunday, November 13, 2022

'SNL' lampoons 'Fox & Friends' reacting to the midterm election results

It's time to return to election coverage with Fox & Friends Cold Open - SNL.

The hosts of Fox & Friends (Mikey Day, Heidi Gardner, Bowen Yang) interview Kari Lake (Cecily Strong) and Donald Trump (James Austin Johnson) about the 2022 midterm elections.
I'm pleased that Cecily Strong returned with her Kari Lake impersonation that she debuted in 'SNL' shares scary news for Halloween 2022. She satirized Lake's weather vane reaction to the election results perfectly. Too bad that her fans may not see this impression again unless Lake actually gets a job on Fox News or some other right-wing outlet. That may be bad news for TV journalism, but it would be great news for comedy.

Speaking of Fox News, seeing them and the rest of NewsCorp's remaining properties turn against The Former Guy reminds me of what I wrote in Noah, Meyers, Colbert, and Kimmel take closer looks at the red wave that wasn't: "I hope the Republican Party finally abandons Trump, but I have my doubts."

'SNL' continued on this theme along with more election coverage in Weekend Update: Democrats Win Senate in 2022 Midterms, Rupert Murdoch Turns on Trump.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week’s biggest news, like Reverend Raphael Warnock and Herschel Walker facing off in a runoff election.
The Democrats retaining control of the Senate is good news, but the election continues in Georgia for an actual majority next month. Also, the comparison between the favorability ratings for Joe Biden and "Jurassic World: Dominion" qualifies this as the Sunday entertainment update.

Follow over the jump for more highlights from last night's episode.

For the sake of completeness, I'm including Weekend Update: Woman Wins Back-to-Back Lottos, Child Arrested for Touching Teacher.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week’s biggest news, like archeologists discovering a tunnel that may lead to Cleopatra’s tomb.
I couldn't resist an archeology story.

Elections returned as the subject of the next video, Weekend Update: Jose Suarez on His Goal to Be the First Latino-American President.

Jose Suarez (Marcello Hernández) stops by Weekend Update to discuss his intention to be the first Latino American president.
Hernández as Suarez may be onto something. Just ask Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada but earned his natural-born citizen status through his mother being an American citizen.

The segment concluded with Weekend Update: Sarah Sherman Debuts Sarah News.

Sarah Sherman stops by Weekend Update to tackle the week's biggest news with her own twist.
That was hilarious! I want to see "Sarah News" return!

I have one more video about the election to share, Please Don't Destroy - Election Night.

Molly Kearney needs help preparing their speech after the midterms.
The original cast of "SNL" had the name "The Not Ready for Prime Time Players." That's what I think of a lot of candidates this year; they weren't ready for prime time, either.

I justified celebrating World Kindness Day early yesterday because Dave Chappelle is hosting Saturday Night Live. I've decided not to embed his monologue; my readers can watch it by clicking on the link. I appreciated two things about it, Chappelle's making fun of Herschel Walker and TFG actually stealing work after being fired. Other than that, I don't want it embedded on my blog, even if it is about entertainment.

I'll return to the midterm elections later as the final results come in. Stay tuned as I post more about holidays, first World Diabetes Day then America Recycles Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment