Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Seth Meyers and Joy Reid take closer looks at Tucker Carlson leaving Fox News

While Fox and Dominion settled without Fox News apologizing on-air, the cable channel paid an unexpected additional price yesterday as they fired Tucker Carlson. It's time for a silly to serious examination, beginning with Seth Meyers presenting Fox News Ousts Tucker Carlson in Shock Move Days After Dominion Settlement: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at Fox News abruptly cutting ties with Tucker Carlson less than a week after a massive settlement over the Dominion Voting Systems defamation suit.
"Let Them Eat Bugs" — I feel seen, but I also feel attacked. Tucker may be gone from Fox News, but I think the right-wing dislike of the idea and the conspiracy theories around it will survive. That is, unless The Former Guy starts talking about it. Remember, like Carlson's career, everything Trump touches dies.

That was the silly look. Now for a serious one from Joy Reid and her panel, Tucker Carlson undermined democracy through 'enormous platform' Lincoln Project senior advisor says.

Tucker Carlson’s reign as the top rated primetime host in cable news came to an abrupt and embarrassing end some say when Fox announced that the two had “agreed to part ways” and thanked him for his service to the network on Monday. Tucker Carlson has officially achieved something that some say no one else in the media industry can claim: being let go by all three major cable news networks. Joy Reid and her panel discuss.
On the one hand, Carlson being let go by all three cable news channels deserves a recycled meme.


On the other, the comparison of Carlson to Father Coughlin reminds me that I have never mentioned him here, but I have elsewhere. An entry from my LiveJournal included his church.
National Shrine of the Little Flower, Royal Oak, Michigan
Our last Michigan destination, the National Shrine of the Little Flower, boasts a rich yet complicated history in the metropolitan Detroit area. Located at the northwest corner of Twelve Mile and Woodward Avenue, the instantly recognizable structure and its fascinating history are well worth a look.
This is an absolutely stunning structure and it lies almost halfway between the other two houses of worship in this article. However, its history is inextricably tied up with Father Coughlin, a forerunner of Rush Limbaugh who was a notorious radio demagogue, fascist sympathizer, and anti-Semite. I can never see the building and have a completely appreciative reaction.
I moved down the street from it the next year, which I mentioned in a comment to Down the Memory Hole at Kunstler's blog in 2014.
“The whole story vanished from the news media like the legendary D.B. Cooper — anyone remember him?”

There used to be a bar named after him just a mile away from me. I saw that and smiled that some criminal from the 1970s who got away with a backpack full of money was still remembered. This year, they changed the name of the place. It’s now “The Pour House.” I think they have an idea of what’s coming. We’re all headed to the pour (poor) house.

By the way, a mile in the other direction is Father Coughlin’s old church. If you remember Father Coughlin, he was the spiritual ancestor of Rush Limbaugh. To this day, the friends of mine who claim to be psychic get the chills when they drive by the building.
Vlad, the subject of Impaling Vlad, or With friends like this, Kunstler hardly needs enemies took me to task for comparing the two, saying that I couldn't tell non-leftists apart. I reminded him that I used to be a conservative, so I certainly could.
Impaler, with friends like you, the legacy of Father Coughlin hardly needs enemies.

As for my not being able to tell conservatives apart, I was a Republican for 22 years. I have lots of practice distinguishing the varieties of people on the American Right.
I've since moved away from the National Shrine (now Basilica) of the Little Flower and stopped reading and commenting at Kunstler's blog. I don't miss either, just like I won't miss Carlson. Good riddance!

No comments:

Post a Comment