Saturday, October 28, 2023

Broken Peach sings 'One Way or Another' from 'Hocus Pocus 2' for Halloween

Allow me an opportunity to brag as I continue my Halloween tradition on this blog of sharing songs by Broken Peach. I made two predictions in James Austin Johnson's 'Trump' hijacks the Last Supper on 'SNL' for Easter.
"I Put A Spell On You" is a 1956 song written by Jay Hawkins, whose recording was selected as one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. In 1993, @Bette Midler starred with Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy in the @Disney, Hocus Pocus. The Sanderson Sisters covered the song & this is our humble tribute!
It turns out my wife and I had never watched "Hocus Pocus," so we watched it Halloween weekend. Then we watched "Hocus Pocus II," which is on my short list for Outstanding Television Movie at this year's Emmy Awards. I bet Broken Peach sings "One Way or Another," the equivalent song from the sequel, this fall. Any takers?
No one took me up on that, but I would have won the bet. Watch and listen to Broken Peach - One Way Or Another (Halloween Special).

"One Way Or Another" is a song by American new wave band Blondie from their 1978 album Parallel Lines. The song's music was composed by bassist Nigel Harrison, who introduced the Ventures-influenced track to keyboardist Jimmy Destri. "One Way or Another" was released as the fourth North American single from Parallel Lines, following the band's chart-topping "Heart of Glass" single.
Called it! Also, scary cheerleaders! That's right up there with the creepy nurses of 2021's "Tainted Love" for turning figures of desire into figures of fear. It helps that this performance brought out the scary stalker vibe of the song more than Debby Harry did, although Bette Midler gave it the right amount of comic menace in Hocus Pocus 2. That's an accomplishment.

Speaking of Hocus Pocus 2, I thought it should be nominated for Outstanding Television Movie. It was, along with Dolly Parton's Mountain Magic Christmas, Fire Island, Prey, and Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. I don't think it will win; the experts at Gold Derby have it tied for last place with Weird: The Al Yankovic Story and Prey tied for first. I plan on writing more about that category and the other nominations for TV movies when I resume my series on the Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards. In the meantime, called that, too.

I'm not as confident about a third prediction I made on Easter, that Broken Peach: Singing Spanish goths and witches for Halloween "will return in next year's edition of this post because of its evergreen popularity during spooky season." So far, it's earned ~200 page views since March 21, 2023, which is not enough to make the top 20 and the increase in readership during October has barely materialized with only 45 page views so far this month with just four days to go. Time's running out.*

Follow over the jump for another Broken Peach video, a drink recipe, and a footnote.

The band from Vigo, Galicia, Spain has included horror and other creepy elements in their videos of their original non-Halloween songs. Watch Broken Peach - I Miss You to see for yourself.

"I Miss You" is a song written, arranged, produced and mixed by Broken Peach.
As I wrote for "Like a Gale" last year, "I think that hits the right mix of stylish, sexy, and creepy."

Like all the spooky season entries I've posted this week, I close this installment with a drink recipe from Secret of the Booze, Witches Brew | Hocus Pocus 2 Inspired Cocktail.

Hocus Pocus Inspired Cocktail
Blue curaƧao
Lemon Juice
Empress Gin
Club Soda
I plan on posting another song or two from Broken Peach for Christmas. Until then, drink responsibly and stay tuned for more Halloween posts through the end of the month. Trick or treat!

*It doesn't help that 'Supergirl' vs. 'The Flash' (again) and 'The Punisher' vs. 'The Defenders' at the Saturn Awards is gaining on it for seventh place on the all-time raw page view list. Broken Peach: Singing Spanish goths and witches for Halloween is a moving target, but I'm surprised it isn't moving faster. May my readers help it speed up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Infidel753 for linking to this post in Halloween and a belated welcome to all of you who came here from his link. As I wrote in my comment on More spooky songs from the Harp Twins for Halloween 2023, "While I think I introduced the Harp Twins to Infidel, Infidel definitely introduced me to Broken Peach and he usually links to my Broken Peach posts..." I'm glad to find out that he did so this year, too!

    ReplyDelete