Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Franz Nopcsa, 'The Gay Palaeontologist Spy Who Discovered Transylvanian Dwarf Dinosaurs'


Happy National Coming Out Day and National Fossil Day! As I wrote yesterday, I've found a video that works for both, J. Draper's The Gay Palaeontologist Spy Who Discovered Transylvanian Dwarf Dinosaurs.


"Franz Nopcsa was a gay palaeontologist spy who discovered Transylvanian dwarf dinosaurs." I agree, that's probably the coolest sentence J. Draper has uttered in all her videos I've watched so far. It's also a cool story that deserves a longer video, despite its tragic end.

I've mentioned insular dwarfism, which Nopcsa first described, in PBS Eons on Pygmy Mammoths, so I have a connection to his work. I just didn't know that he was responsible for the concept until now. It's always a good day when I learn something new. I hope my readers agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment