Friday, July 24, 2015

Fandoms collide as a drum corps plays anime music


Otakon, possibly still the largest anime convention in the U.S., begins today.  Drum corps season is also in full swing.  Between the convergence of those events* and my current "I can't be all DOOM all the time" mood, I'm going to connect the two by posting an example of two of my fandoms colliding, Madison Scouts playing the theme to "Lupin III" from "The Castle of Cagliostro," one of my favorite anime movies.

The 1998 Madison Scouts play the theme from Lupin III at DCI World Championships in Orlando.
Not a bad connection.

I'll see if I can post something more serious tomorrow.  In the meantime, enjoy the show!

*I've faced this coincidence before.  In 2003, I had an choice between going to Otakon, where I would have earned money, and DCI Championships.  I went to DCI, where I spent a lot of money didn't have on the ex-girlfriend I mention when I post about Yosemite.  In retrospect, I probably would have been better off now going to Otakon, but it would have cost me more than I was willing to risk personally at the time, as I had promised her a trip to Orlando to watch DCI years earlier and it was my best chance to fulfill it.  Oh, well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment