Sunday, December 16, 2018

CBS Sunday Morning examines 'the fall of Sears'


I haven't written about the Retail Apocalypse since I posted The Bon-Ton Stores bankruptcy and liquidation, a tale of the Retail Apocalypse for Black Friday/Buy Nothing Day and I haven't written about the Sears Holdings Bankruptcy since Sears and KMart open on Thanksgiving, plus Sears warranties during bankruptcy, a tale of the Retail Apocalypse more than a month ago.  That means it's time for another update, which CBS Sunday Morning provided today with The fall of Sears

At its peak, Sears, Roebuck was the largest retailer in the world. And then, the company that dominated the department store and mail order business for much of the 20th century officially filed for bankruptcy, buckling under its massive debt load and staggering losses. David Pogue looks at the company and its failure to evolve in a changing economy.
While a lot of this repeats the history described in Company Man on the Decline of Sears, a tale of the Retail Apocalypse, the CBS News segment in Sears Holdings files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, a tale of the Retail Apocalypse, and the CNBC video in Part 1 of Sears, a tale of the retail apocalypse, but it does personalize it through the stories of its customers, retirees, and at least one former executive.  All of their accounts make the decline of the former retail giant look and sound even more tragic.

Normally, I'd have written an entertainment feature for today, but I am not feeling it.  On top of which, I have papers to grade.  I might get to one Tuesday or Wednesday, just as I did last week, when I posted Nominated movie songs at the 2019 Grammy Awards on Wednesday when I recycled it from Booman Tribune.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment