Sunday, April 25, 2021

Mike Lindell and Rudy Giuliani win two Razzies each, including Worst Film for 'Absolute Proof'

It's time for the 41st Razzie Winners Announcement!

In a Year When Everything Sucked, Everybody Gets a Little Something from The 41st Annual Razzie® Awards, Including a Governors’ Trophy for 2020 Itself!

ABSOLUTE PROOF, MUSIC, 365 DAYS, DOLITTLE and RUDY GIULIANI ALL SCORE $4.97 STATUETTES

Hahahaha! I got what I wished for in Rudy Giuliani and Mike Lindell earn Razzie nominations.
The political movie here is the documentary "Absolute Proof," "MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell's film claiming a Chinese cyberattack 'flipped' the 2020 election." I hope it gets the same treatment as "Hillary's America," which won Worst Picture over "Batman V. Superman." It probably won't — both "365 Days" and "Dolittle" have more nominations and I think "365 Days" is the worse film — but "Absolute Proof" is my pick for worst political film of 2020 for no other reason than it perpetrates the Big Lie that the 2020 election was stolen. I find that actively harmful.
Not only was "Absolute Proof" the worst political film of 2020, but, according to the Razzies, the Worst Picture overall last year. I can't think of a more deserving stinker of a bad (faith) documentary. That written, I misjudged its competition, as "Music" won more Razzies than any other film with three, Worst Director, Worst Actress, and Worst Supporting Actress.
Now for nominations of (bad) performers like Donald J. Trump, Kellyanne Conway, and Melania Trump two years ago. As much as I'm rooting for Lindell and Rudy Giuliani to follow in the footsteps of Trump and Conway, who won worst acting awards, Lindell, at least, is up against tough competition, Robert Downey, Jr. and David Spade for being big names in weak movies, Michele Morrone for being in a geniunely bad but popular movie, and Adam Sandler for being a perpetual target of the Razzies. It depends which variety of bad the Razzie voters want to recognize. As I repeatedly say about awards shows, electorates matter.
This year, the Razzie electorate voted to recognize Lindell's variety of awful "in a landslide." I approve. I also approve of the next two awards.
Without doubt, "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm" is the best movie of the bunch with two Oscar nominations, two Golden Globe wins, and more than 80 other wins and nominations. Its only Razzie nominations are this one and the next, demonstrating how stupidly Giuliani acted naturally. I'll be a good environmentalist and recycle what I wrote last October about his performance and that of the star of the film.
Rudy Guiliani really should have known better. I think Sasha Baron Cohen is mean-spirited prankster who doesn't like American conservatives and he gives that side of him full rein when he's Borat. Mind you, I think he's also hilarious, but his wit has barbs and a sharp point that is aimed at his interview subjects, particularly ones like Rudy.
That written, I have no sympathy for Giuliani and hope he "wins." I think he has a better chance of doing so than Lindell in his category, even against this field of famous actors in inferior movies.
As I wrote, I got my wish, both here and in the next category.
Maria Bakalova's performance earned an Oscar nomination, so it's not her fault that she's nominated here; it's Giuliani's. That written, while I want Giuliani to win this award as well, I'm not sure Bakalova deserves it. Still, she's the kind of actress who would make a great hilarious show of accepting and thanking her co-star. That would be worth seeing.
I got a fifth wish fulfilled in this category, as Rudy Giuliani's zipper replaced Maria Bakalova as the other part of this screen combo. As I wrote, she didn't deserve her part in the award, while Giuliani's zipper did. Sacha Baron Cohen can think Giuliani for adding two Razzies to the awards for "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm", just like he thanked Giuliani for his part in helping the comedy win two Golden Globes and a WGA Award. Giuliani deserves it.

"365 Days" and "Dolittle" also received the recognition they deserved, the former for winning Worst Screenplay and the latter for winning Worst Remake, Ripoff, or Sequel. I'll accept the Razzie voters' judgement for both, but especially the latter. I think "Wonder Woman 1984" wasn't nearly as bad as some people made it out to be and did not deserve its nominations, especially for Kristen Wiig. I liked her as Barbara Minerva/Cheetah and hope she returns in a sequel.

That's it for the Razzies. Stay tuned for coverage of the Oscars.

No comments:

Post a Comment