Sunday, December 11, 2022

SNL's 'Weekend Update' recaps the news from the first full week of December 2022

I know, I promised I would cover Entertainer of the Year as the Sunday entertainment feature three times, but I couldn't resist last night's episode of "Saturday Night Live." Besides, looking back at the year meant I was ignoring last week's news after Raphael Warnock won re-election in Georgia and there was a lot of news to cover. Watch Weekend Update: Trump Claims Constitution Should Be Terminated, Brittney Griner Freed - SNL.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like Kyrsten Sinema leaving the Democratic party.
I was going to blog about Colbert, Meyers, and Kimmel ridiculing The Former Guy calling for the termination of the Constitution so he could be re-instated, but I wasn't feeling it, so I posted MSNBC's Steve Kornacki examines today's Senate runoff election in Georgia instead. I guess I couldn't avoid the topic any more.

Speaking of avoiding things, Kyrsten Sinema becoming an independent means she will avoid a Democratic primary that she was likely to lose. It also means I will have to create a new version of the following image and write new commentary about the first independent female U.S. Senator.

By the way, Manchin and Sinema are the two most moderate/conservative Democratic U.S. Senators as the above chart from Voteview shows. The blue dots to the left of their names shows their ideological positions according to DW-Nominate, the same source I used to rank Democratic presidential candidates from left to center. Just to emphasize the point, Manchin's page calls him "the most conservative Democrat of the 117th Senate" and Sinema's page describes her as "more conservative than 97% of Democrats in the 117th Senate." Sinema was also the most conservative Democrat in the 115th Congress when she left the House of Representatives in 2018. Neither were ever true liberals, despite Sinema being a member of the Green Party.
From now on, Voteview will plot Double-Doctor Sinema's ideological position with a black dot, just as it does for Angus King of Maine and Bernie Sanders of Vermont. Also, the second most conservative/moderate Democratic Senator is now Mark Kelly, the other Senator from Arizona. At least that distinction hasn't left the Grand Canyon state.

Enough of that aside. Here's the second segment of Weekend Update, Chris Christie’s Niece Attacks Latino Family, France Gives Out Free Condoms.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like a woman leaving 3 buckets of human waste at a police station.
I haven't mentioned Chris Christie on my blog for more than two years, so leave it to his relatives to get me to do that. Also, the R. Kelly story is enough to qualify this as an entertainment update. Finally, apologies to my French readers about the deodorant joke. I want you to keep reading.

Last night's episode had lots of Christmas content and I expect next week's episode will as well. I plan on compiling them into a holiday post like I did for Halloween content in David Pumpkins returns as 'Saturday Night Live' celebrates Halloween 2022. I will also post Time Magazine's Entertainer of the Year after I blog about Gingerbread House Day tomorrow. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment