Wednesday, January 24, 2018

R.I.P. Ursula K. LeGuin


I was planning on posting about the Oscar nominees today, but as I did in September with the death of Jerry Pournelle, it is my sad duty to report the death of another great science fiction writer, Ursula K. LeGuin.*  I'll let Wochit News and Wochit Entertainment tell the story for me.

First, Author Ursula K. Le Guin Has Died from Wochit News.

Best-selling Sci-Fi and Fantasy author Ursula K. LeGuin has died at her home in Portland, Oregon. She was 88. Le Guin's books have sold millions of copies worldwide, inspired other authors, and been translated into dozens of languages. Her work often explored themes not seen in other science fiction. Le Guin won awards like the National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. In 2003, she became the first woman to be named a Grandmaster of Science Fiction. She is survived by her husband, son, two daughters, two brothers, and four grandchildren.
Next, Fans Mourn Author Ursula K. Le Guin from Wochit Entertainment.

Science Fiction and Fantasy author Ursula K. Le Guin passed away on Monday at the age of 88. First published in the 1960s, LeGuin's alternative worlds challenged readers' ideas on politics, gender roles, religion and sexuality. In 2016, The New York Times described her as "America's greatest living science fiction writer." LeGuin won the Hugo Award, Nebula Award, Locus Award, and World Fantasy Award, each more than once Her work has been adapted to the screen numerous times, including several versions of "The Lathe of Heaven" and and animated Studio Ghibli rendition of "Tales from Earthsea." Fans everywhere have taken to the world wide web, commemorating Le Guin and her profound impact on the world of fiction.
I'm one of those fans.  R.I.P.

*I'll post about the Oscar nominees beginning tomorrow, beginning with the speculative fiction nominees.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I saw that she had died. Haven't read a lot of her work. Read Orsinian Tales when I was much younger and would like to find a copy, and The Dispossessed. In the library now and I'm going to check and see what they have. I know she was very prolific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite story of hers was "The Lathe of Heaven." It was set in Portland and made me feel like I'd been there, long before I actually visited last year.

      Delete