Monday, June 13, 2022

Samantha Bee asks 'What’s Next For America’s Embarrassingly Weak Gun Laws?'

I'm sitting here waiting for a Supreme Court decision to be announced at 10:00 A.M. EDT and deciding that not writing today's blog post until then is wasting my time. I had a working title of "Monday the 13th is an unlucky day for reproductive rights" based on the expected result of the leaked draft opinion but the wait is getting to me, so instead I'm anticipating a decision on another case involving gun rights by sharing Full Frontal with Samantha Bee asking What’s Next For America’s Embarrassingly Weak Gun Laws?

No one wants to be a cynic about an issue as important as gun violence, but it's hard to be optimistic when half of our elected officials won't even admit there's a gun problem. This is a digital exclusive.
In case that's the decision announced today, I'm ready.

Just the same, there has been some progress on the issue, as BBC News reported in Plan to strengthen gun control measure agreed by US senators.

US campaigners have welcomed a potential cross-party deal on gun safety reforms but stressed the proposals do not go far enough.
I hope these measures pass. I'll take half a loaf over nothing.

At the same time the Supreme Court announces a decision, the January 6th Committee hearings are going on. I'll have reactions to today's installment after an update on D.C. statehood for Flag Day. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment