Sunday, July 17, 2022

Happy National Ice Cream Day, World Emoji Day, and Souther! Souther? Yes, Souther

Happy National Ice Cream Day! HLN (formerly CNN's Headline News) celebrated the day in 2015 by telling the channel's viewers Raise a spoon: it's ice cream day!

Summertime is the perfect time for a frozen treat! President Ronald Reagan named July National Ice Cream Month back in 1984 and he established National Ice Cream Day as the third Sunday of the month. Americans eat an estimated 22 pounds of ice cream every year! Lynn, Coy and Ivan didn't eat quite that much today, but they did share their favorite flavors with us (Graeter's, Dulce de Leche and Turkey Hill Butter Pecan, respectively).
I like this video because it includes both the history of the holiday and a food fact, has engaging hosts, and is from a mainstream news source, although it is not longer the hard news outlet I watched regularly during 1989-1991 when it was Headline News. It also isn't a stealth commercial for a local ice cream store or manufacturer, as it featured three flavors from different sources.

One of my holiday traditions is to share drink recipes for the day. Fox 13 Seattle provided some in Drinks for National Ice Cream Day.

Joe McRae with Bevmo joins Good Day Seattle to prepare some fancy adult beverages to honor national ice cream day.
I'm beginning to wonder if "It's always five o'clock somewhere" means 5:00 P.M. or 5:00 A.M. to morning show anchors who drink as part of their job. I hope they have designated drivers!

Follow over the jump for the celebration of two more holidays, including one that was created for me.


Today is also World Emoji Day, which has its own YouTube channel, where it asks How are people celebrating World Emoji Day?

World Emoji Day is held every year on July 17. The date was chosen by Emojipedia due to the Calendar emoji on iOS showing this date. In 2017, events included a preview of the new emojis from Apple[,] a Guinness World Record attempt[,] World Emoji Awards presented (Face Palm won "Best New Emoji")[,] and the Empire State Building was lit emoji yellow to celebrate[...]
I guess that "The Emoji Movie" being the biggest winner (loser) at the 2018 Razzie Awards didn't deter the World Emoji Day account from making a big deal of the film. I guess they think all publicity is good publicity.

To mark the two holidays falling on the same day, here are some ice cream emojis from Emojipedia.


I conclude by wishing my readers happy Souther!
Today is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Summer Solstice, so it's Souther, a holiday created by John Michael Greer and entrusted to me. He also designated the wombat as the animal mascot for the holiday. Since the first celebration fell on National Ice Cream Day and the holiday usually happens during July, which is National Ice Cream Month, the activity to celebrate the day is eating ice cream.
For the full story of The Archdruid creating Souther and Norther, read For Winter Solstice 2016, the Archdruid and I discuss Discordianism and fake holidays. Instead, I'm continuing two ways of observing the holiday, starting with sharing an image of a wombat with ice cream, which is one of the Australian animals in the image below from I Still Call Australia Home.


The second tradition is embedding a video of The Wombats singing Ice Cream. something I've done since 2019.

Ice cream by The Wombats
Album: Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life
...
Ice cream Lyrics:

Beyond the pines are the breeze I shoot
There's a place where I undo
And it happens all the time
I'm immune to goodbyes, oh
Swiss watch and a baseball cap
Won't go far with a face like that
Still they keep me wanting more
A church with a locked door

You keep me wanting more

Everything gets blurry, am I right where you want me?
Melting like an ice cream in the sun
He's low and she's high, but I take it offline
Is there really such a thing as too much fun?
An ice cream in the sun

Art imitates life again
Rose and I used to be friends
We'd hang out from time to time
When we could toe the line, oh
What I like in humility
My ego pays back to me
And it keeps me wanting more
A church with a locked door

You keep me wanting more

Everything gets blurry, am I right where you want me?
Melting like an ice cream in the sun
He's low and she's high, but I take it offline
Is there really such a thing as too much fun?
An ice cream in the sun

Everything gets blurry, am I right where you want me?
Melting like an ice cream in the sun
He's low and she's high, but I'm taking it offline
Is there really such a thing as too much fun?
An ice cream in the sun
"Is there really such a thing as too much fun?" I don't know, but if there is, I've had it today celebrating three holidays on one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment