Friday, March 17, 2023

The history of the Irish in America for St. Patrick's Day and Irish American Heritage Month

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Instead of Tipsy Bartender drink recipes for St. Patrick's Day, I'm sharing educational content like 2021's PBS Digital's Storied tells the tale of leprechauns for St. Patrick's Day. I begin with the History Channel's Why America Loves/Hated the Irish.

Today, Irish traditions are seamlessly embedded in American culture. But once upon a time, the American people rejected—even hated—those immigrating from the Emerald Isle.
National Day Calendar featured more history in March is Irish American Heritage Month.

Criss-crossing the country, Irish-American Heritage holds rich traditions and an unmistakable can-do spirit. Their infectious character and indomitable personalities have brought us 22 presidents including Ulysses S. Grant, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Regan, and Barack Obama to name a few. From inventor and businessman, Henry Ford to journalist Nellie Bly, author F. Scott Fitzgerald and dancer Gene Kelly, their endless talents fill many roles.
As an Irish-American, I'm proud to be among this company.

I'm breaking with tradition by not embedding a drink recipe. Instead, I'm sharing a food video from National Day Calendar, as today is also National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day.

To “corn” something is simply to preserve it in a salty brine (the term corn refers to the coarse grains of salt used for curing).

Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product. Traditional Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes used salt pork or a bacon joint instead of corned beef. However, sometime in the mid-1800s when the Irish immigrated to America, they found Jewish corned beef very similar in texture to the bacon joint (pork).

As a result, they used corned beef as a replacement for the bacon when preparing corned beef and cabbage meals. Soon after, Irish-Americans began having Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day.
Between watching that video and smelling the brisket cooking, I'm getting hungry. That means it's time to stop writing. I hope my readers enjoyed viewing this post as much as I did writing it. I also hope they learned something from it and share my sentiment that any day I learn something new is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment