Saturday, March 11, 2023

Three years of COVID-19 arriving in Michigan and being declared a global pandemic

I closed The pros and cons of permanent Daylight Saving Time by telling my readers "I'm hoping to see more videos about three years of COVID-19 in the U.S. tomorrow, which is the actual third anniversary of the WHO declaring it a global pandemic. Stay tuned to see if that happens." It did. ABC 13 in Grand Rapids observed the anniversary by uploading Saturday, March 11 marks 3 year anniversary of COVID-19 pandemic.

On March 11th, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic.

What followed, were travel bans, stay-at-home orders and mandatory masking.

1.[1] million Americans have died from the virus the most of any country in the world and among them, more than 42,000 Michiganders.
Officially, the U.S. has the most deaths from COVID-19 with Worldometer listing 1,148,765, followed by Brazil with 699,310 deaths, and India reporting 530,780. I suspect all of them have under-reported deaths from the disease, but especially India, as I wrote last May: "I was always a little skeptical that India had fewer deaths than the U.S. from the pandemic. An estimate of 4.7 million may be higher than I expected, but I really do think India had more deaths than the U.S.'s 1 million." Still, that's merely a suspicion, not a fact.

WOOD-TV also observed the two anniversaries, concentrating on the third anniversary of the first cases in the Great Lakes State, in COVID-19 in Michigan 3 years after first cases.

On March 10, 2020, Michigan health leaders confirmed the state's first two cases of COVID-19. Three years later, the chief medical executive is reflecting on the pandemic, what has been learned and where we stand today.
I'm glad vaccines and more effective treatments exist to make COVID-19 less dangerous and scary. My wife and I are the beneficiaries of both, as I mentioned in 'The First Wave' wins three News & Documentary Emmy Awards. While we haven't had any lingering symptoms besides modestly lower energy levels and some slight brain fog, there are lots of people who are suffering from worse syndromes. The economy has also not fully recovered, either. Follow over the jump for two reports from outside Michigan about both.

WUSA 9 in Washington, D.C. examined one particular type of post-COVID pathology in COVID19: 3 years later.

Tomorrow marks three years since the World Health Organization declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic and there are still many unknowns about the long term health[.]
Ugh, am I glad my wife and I don't have POTS! May my readers not develop it, either. If they do, may they find effective treatments.

CBS New York concentrated on the economy in How New York City is doing nearly 3 years after the pandemic shutdown.

It's been nearly three years since New York City's pandemic shutdown, and the road to economic recovery has been rocky. CBS2's Natalie Duddridge looks at how we're doing and where we go from here.
I'm going to repeat what I first wrote three years ago: "Note that Stephanie Ruhle segued into retail and the transition from brick-and-mortar job losses into job opportunities in online ordering and delivery. The response to the coronavirus pandemic is accelerating existing trends." One of those was working from home, which hurt Brooks Brothers, Jos. A Bank, and Men's Wearhouse and helped Zoom. That hasn't gone away, so welcome to the new normal.

Today is also the twelfth anniversary of the Fukushima triple disaster. Stay tuned to see if I observe that event, or if I skip ahead to the Sunday entertainment feature. I may have had enough DOOM for one day.

2 comments:

  1. https://nebris.tumblr.com/post/711629803252482048/nevver-matt-shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! That's a great graphic that's perfect for the stretch of holidays that begins tomorrow! Thanks for posting the link!

      Delete