Tuesday, March 14, 2023

'The Infinite Life of Pi' for Pi Day, International Day of Mathematics, and Science Education Day!

Happy Pi Day and International Day of Mathematics! To celebrate, I'm embedding The infinite life of pi - Reynaldo Lopes from TED-Ed.

The ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter is always the same: 3.14159... and on and on (literally!) forever. This irrational number, pi, has an infinite number of digits, so we'll never figure out its exact value no matter how close we seem to get. Reynaldo Lopes explains pi's vast applications to the study of music, financial models, and even the density of the universe.

Lesson by Reynaldo Lopes, animation by Igor Coric.
That's a ten-year-old math lesson that I can't believe I haven't seen before. As I have written before, it's a good day when I learn something new.

Speaking of learning something new, I learned that today is also Science Education Day. Take it away, 8SA!

Science Education Day (March 14) - Activities and How to Celebrate Science Education Day

Science Education Day is celebrated on March 14th of every year. Science is all around us, and we could notice it in every walk of life. Most of us are introduced to the science subject in our school classrooms.
I'm a science educator, so every day I work is Science Education Day. Just the same, it's nice to know that there is an actual day for it and it's one I observe already.

I end with a warning about tomorrow: Beware the Ides of March!

No comments:

Post a Comment