Thursday, March 16, 2023

Seth Meyers takes closer looks at Silicon Valley Bank

While I've been busy celebrating minor holidays, the federal government has been rescuing Silicon Valley Bank, which failed late last week because of an old-fashioned bank run. I don't think I've blogged about one of those since I posted Ten years ago, we were partying like it was 1929. Are we about to do it again? That was five years ago and was a call back to Four years ago, we were partying like 1929--what a difference today! Both of those were actually about 2008, fifteen years ago. Wow, it's been a while!

Since it's easier for me to approach a topic through comedy (and my readers seem to like it better, too), I'm sharing two closer look segments from Seth Meyers, beginning with last night's DeSantis and GOP Blame "Wokeness" for Bank Crisis After Gutting Dodd-Frank: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at the Republican Party going all in on the pathetic claim that Silicon Valley Bank collapsed because it was "woke," while they also desperately try to prop up Ron DeSantis with glowing profiles and easy interviews on Fox News.
I'm repurposing my reaction from Seth Meyers takes a closer look at Republicans reacting to the Ohio train derailment so I can recycle it here.
[B]laming [economic] problems on liberal social policy looks like changing the rationale for attacking the same targets the GOP is aiming at already. They're more interested in beating up on the recipients of their ire than actually solving the problems.
All I had to do was change environmental to economic. I continued by writing that "It also comes off as hypocrisy and projection." That ties into Monday night's segment on Silicon Valley Bank's failure, Trump Blamed for Gutting Financial Rules After Silicon Valley Bank Collapse: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at the Biden administration trying to stem the fallout from the sudden collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, which has put a spotlight on efforts by the Trump administration to weaken financial rules that could have prevented the crisis.
"Oh, no, our economic policies couldn't have caused an economic crisis. Our opponents' social policies had to." When all a party has is culture war, then every issue becomes part of the culture war, even when social policy has nothing to do with it. It's enough to drive one to drink, but I usually save that for St. Patrick's Day. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment