Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ann Arbor Borders closes for the last time



Flagship Borders in Ann Arbor closing.


I wrote about the end of Borders twice already, but those reports were about the death and the start of the store's funeral. The funeral is now over and the store is now being buried after the mourners leave.

As for the scene in the WXYZ report above, it was being repeated at all of Borders' locations. I went to the Southfield store twice this summer, once during Dream Cruise and one last time right before Labor Day, and it looked just like the Ann Arbor flagship--going out of business and clearance sale signs everywhere and everything, including the furniture, for sale. The first visit, I bought "Fast Food Nation," "In Defense of Food," and "Omnivore's Dilemma" at a steep discount. The second visit, I didn't see anything I wanted.

So long Borders. Your funeral may be over, but your customers will mourn your passing for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. I too loved my visits to Borders, but like lots of things during this recession...they just couldn't hang/change w/the times I guess. ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sad, knowing that I didn't see this comment to respond to it before you died. :_(

      Delete