Thursday, September 1, 2011

Nablopomo for September: Return




From my email.
September's theme for daily blogging: RETURN. Returning -- or turning again -- is about reflection, about going backwards, about revisiting a spot or memory. Sometimes people think that it can be a negative thing to live too much in the past, drowning in nostalgia. But a lot can be learned by mentally returning to a moment, replaying what happened in your mind, especially if lessons are learned in the process.
Not only do I have reminiscences that fit sustainability themes,* but I have lots of old business that I promised to return to later that I haven't gotten around to yet.

For starters, I laid out an ambitious agenda in Nablopomo for August: Fiction, of which I finished 10%. I blame my following the shiny objects of the Satan Sandwich and Woodward Dream Cruise for that. Dream Cruise is over for the year, but the effects of the Satan Sandwich continue on, so I'll return to them as well. I also plan on returning to some regular features of the blog, like the sustainability news linkspams and the weekly roundups. I will continue updating regular topics of this blog, including the price of gas and oil and the state of real estate. Finally, there is old business that needs to be laid to rest, in which case yesterday's post on Kroger in Royal Oak served as a preview. A prime example would be the resolution to the plight of Julie Bass, which is that she and her family are leaving Oak Park for Seattle. That definitely deserves a post of its own.

As you can see, I have plenty to blog about that works well within the theme without changing the topics of this blog much, if at all. As I've written many times before, blogging about sustainability in metro Detroit means never running out of material.

*Remember that I consider war to be a sustainability issue, so I intend to tell my "war stories." I have a tale about a war game that I've been promising to write about for years, but have never gotten around to doing so. Also, the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is coming. I don't think I've ever written down my experiences from that day. I was tempted on May 2nd, but had other fish to fry.  This theme serves as the perfect opportunity to recount both.

No comments:

Post a Comment