Friday, January 13, 2017

Can you spell triskaidekaphobia for Friday the 13th?


Happy Friday the 13th!  To celebrate today's unlucky day, I'm sharing the Wall Street Journal asking Triskaidekaphobia is Fear of 13, but Can You Spell It?

WSJ's Elva Ramirez takes to the streets of New York to find out how many people know what triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13) is - and if they can spell it.
So in Spain, the unlucky day is Tuesday the 13th.  That's not any stranger than Garfield the Cat hating Monday the 13th.

Stay tuned for two more holidays this weekend, the first celebration of the fake holiday Norther on Sunday and Martin Luther King Day on Monday.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with Garfield. To us overworked Americans, Friday will never feel like an unlucky day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about that one. Otherwise, there wouldn't be expressions like TGIF or drinking groups like the POETS (Piss on everything, tomorrow's Saturday) Society. Yes, that's a real thing. It was the drinking club of the Biology Faculty and graduate students at the University of Michigan when I went there.

      Delete
  2. I would have left out the second "i." Do I get partial credit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even if you were one of my students taking a test where spelling counted.

      Delete