Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Drink to a drum corps Bastille Day with Phantom Regiment's 'I Am Joan'

A happy drum corps Bastille Day to my readers! I telegraphed the first video I'm sharing today in Marching music and a drink for the St. Patrick's Day primaries, when I wrote "I'm saving [Phantom Regiment's] 2019 show for a Bastille Day post, as it has a French theme." Without any further ado, I present 2019 Phantom Regiment | I Am Joan from Drum Corps International.*



Rockford, IL | 12th Place | 87.238

In case that isn't enough, I am sharing Phantom Regiment 2019 "I Am Joan" Finals week at Mount Vernon High School, a run-through of the complete show.


And that was 12th place! Honestly, I think it was a more coherent and entertaining program than the 2018 show I used for St. Patrick's Day this year. That written, playing "Fire of Eternal Glory," while a Phantom Regiment corps song, seems a bit on the nose given how St. Joan became a martyr.

Speaking of which, indulge me a bit about the subject of the show. While Joan of Arc was a pre-revolutionary figure fighting on behalf of King Charles VII of France, her Wikipedia article describes how her star rose after the French Revolution, so she's not out of place in a Bastille Day celebration.
In the 16th century she became a symbol of the Catholic League, and in 1803 she was declared a national symbol of France by the decision of Napoleon Bonaparte...She was beatified in 1909 and canonized in 1920. Joan of Arc is one of the nine secondary patron saints of France, along with Saint Denis, Saint Martin of Tours, Saint Louis, Saint Michael, Saint Rémi, Saint Petronilla, Saint Radegund and Saint Thérèse of Lisieux.
Vive Le France! Liberté, Egaliteé Fraternité!


Now that I'm done celebrating the third of three patriotic holidays I observe during July, follow over the jump for a celebration of National Grand Marnier Day.




As I have since I first started celebrating this booze holiday, I'm sharing a recipe from Tipsy Bartender that features Grand Marnier, Flaming B52, the latest recipe Skyy and Emma have uploaded with this ingredient.


Enjoy the double celebration and remember to drink responsibly!

*Phantom Regiment wasn't the first to perform a show inspired by Joan of Arc. Pioneer did so in 2016, beating them to it by three years. I'll be a good environmentalist and conserve that resource for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment