Sunday, July 19, 2020

Drink to 'John Lewis: Good Trouble' on Daiquiri Day and Ice Cream Day

For the second half of this week's Sunday entertainment double feature, I'm paying tribute to the late John Lewis, who passed away Friday, through "John Lewis: Good Trouble," a documentary about him. I begin with John Lewis: Good Trouble - Official Trailer from Magnolia Pictures & Magnet Releasing.

Using interviews and rare archival footage, JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE chronicles Lewis’ 60-plus years of social activism and legislative action on civil rights, voting rights, gun control, health-care reform and immigration. Using present-day interviews with Lewis, now 80 years old, Porter explores his childhood experiences, his inspiring family and his fateful meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1957. In addition to her interviews with Lewis and his family, Porter’s primarily cinéma verité film also includes interviews with political leaders, Congressional colleagues, and other people who figure prominently in his life.
That's a powerful trailer. In fact, it's so moving that I don't mind showing it to my readers again as introduction and conclusion of JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE (2020) | Director DAWN PORTER chats with RICK HONG about her documentary.

JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE (2020) | Director DAWN PORTER chats with RICK HONG about her documentary

The film explores Georgia representative's, 60-plus years of social activism and legislative action on civil rights, voting rights, gun control, health care reform, and immigration.
Director: Dawn Porter
Star: John Lewis

Interview with:
- Dawn Porter, director
On the one hand, I appreciated being able to see and hear from director Dawn Porter about her film and its subject. Her documentary turned out to be surprisingly timely because of the protests and demonstrations and is now even more so because of Representative Lewis's death. I am glad he was able to see the film come out before his death. On the other, I think Rick Hong could use some help writing his video descriptions. I might even volunteer.*

The March on Selma played an important part in Lewis's life, and it shows up again in the final clip about him I'm sharing today, Congressman John Lewis: "Get in Trouble. Good Trouble" from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert four years ago, where he talks about that moment in history, repeats his catchphrase, and crowd-surfs the audience.

Congressman Lewis traces his journey of fighting for civil rights from the 1960s in Selma through to his new graphic novel series 'MARCH.'
Now, that's a fun memory of Lewis that I'm happy to leave for my readers. As for the documentary itself, I'm looking forward to its nominations at the Critics' Choice Documentary Awards and Academy Awards. I know it's already on my shortlist for the Golden Coffee Cups. May I still be able to run the awards and blog about it next year.

Follow over the jump for drinks to celebrate both John Lewis's life and today's food and drink days.

Today is both National Daiquiri Day and National Ice Cream Day, so I'm going to toast the memory of Representative Lewis with two drinks for the day. Since Lewis was from Georgia, which is the Peach State, I'm going to be a good environmentalist and recycle Tipsy Bartender's Peach Daiquiri from two years ago.

PEACH DAIQUIRI
2 oz. (60ml) White Rum
1 oz. (30ml) Peach Puree
1 oz. (30ml) Lime Juice
1 Cup Frozen Peaches
Ice Peach
Slice
Mint Leaves
PREPARATION
1. Add ice, white rum, lime juice, peach puree and frozen peach to blender. Combine until smooth.
2. Rim edge of serving glass with lime juice and sugar and pour mix inside.
3. Garnish with a peach slice and mint leaf. Enjoy responsibly!
For National Ice Cream Day, I'm also using the Peach State as an inspiration because Georgia, particularly Atlanta, is the home of Coca-Cola, so here is Coke Float - 4 Ingredients from TheCooknShare.

A coke float is simple and refreshing especially in the summer. The great thing is, it's only made with 4 simple ingredients: ice cubes, coke, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate syrup. Believe me, the combination is incredible. I use regular coke, but if you're diet conscious, you can use diet coke or coke zero. Any type of soda can be used for that matter. Root beer float are nice, as well. Watch the video and give our coke float a try.
There, I think that makes up for not posting an ice cream drink recipe for Souther this year.

May my readers enjoy these drinks responsibly and find ways to get in "good trouble," even it it's just watching the movie!

That concludes today's entertainment double feature. Stay tuned for National Moon Day.

*Among all the other jobs I've had, I was an English teacher. Mind you, it was only for a month as a substitute, but I still taught American Literature and Creative Writing in a high school near where I used to live. I bring that up to my students to remind them to pay attention to their writing. It seems to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment