Wednesday, July 1, 2020

John Oliver warns of evictions during the pandemic

In John Oliver examines coronavirus spreading in prisons and jails while cases spike in Arizona, Florida, and Texas, which featured the previous clip from "Last Week Tonight" about COVID-19, I wrote "Americans may be getting tired of the pandemic, but the pandemic isn't getting tired of us."* Fortunately, neither are Oliver and his writers, who uploaded Coronavirus IX: Evictions to the show's YouTube channel.

With evictions on the rise due to coronavirus, John Oliver discusses the long struggle with housing in the US, why it’s gotten worse in recent months, and how to prevent an impending crisis.
Yikes! This makes me doubly glad to be a home owner and my income hasn't been interrupted because I've been able to work remotely. I may not be religious, but I'm counting my blessings just the same.

On another note, it's time to put pressure on the U.S. Senate to pass the HEROES Act, which I mentioned in John Oliver describes the plight of the United States Postal Service. That bill will help more people than just the Post Office!

By the way, since today is Canada Day, I'm going to quote the unpleasant Canadian landlord from the clip and wish for all of us to "get on with our miserable lives." Heh, anyone who thinks Canadians are nice, polite people have never seen them at a hockey game!

*I tweeted that in response to a graph of infections in the U.S. showing new reported cases and it became my most popular tweet of June with 24,858 impressions and 191 engagements, including 82 likes, 69 detail expands, 31 profile clicks, 6 retweets, and 3 replies. It beat the tweet I quoted in I haven't seen this many statues fall since the end of the Cold War. However, I think the tweet I quoted in Vox explains the 'nuclear button' and KFC trolls McDonalds in response to Trump is still my most popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment