Thursday, July 23, 2020

Samantha Bee mocks governors' responses to the pandemic in a parody of 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives'


It's Thursday, so it's time to see what Samantha Bee, the basic cable John Oliver, made fun of in her show last night. This week, she's following up on last week's Mask Hysteria with a two-part parody of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" lampooning the responses of governors to the COVID-19 pandemic.* Watch Deniers, Dimwits, and Lies: How Governors Have Responded to the Pandemic Pt. 1.

When it comes to our country’s fractured response to the coronavirus, each state has managed to put its own spin on governing during a pandemic. The results are pretty hard to stomach.
Bee continued her tour in Deniers, Dimwits, and Lies: How Governors Have Responded to the Pandemic Pt. 2.

Individual state responses to COVID-19 have been more chaotic than Guy Fieri’s wardrobe. We need a unified country-wide strategy to combat the coronavirus!
I agree with Bee on almost all of her points about the pandemic response. We need a coordinated nation-wide response, but we're not getting one, so it's up to the states. The result has been really uneven. I've been pleased with Gretchen Whitmer's actions, even though they prompted Operation Gridlock. I'm also happy with New York Governor Mario Cuomo's response, although those graphics look less than professional and not up to the standards of Cuomo's PowerPoint slides. On the other hand, the various Sun Belt governors have been flubbing their efforts or lack thereof to control the pandemic. In my opinion, the worst has been Florida's Ron DeSantis. Nonnie9999 of Hysterical Raisins, who lives in Florida, agrees, making him the subject of her poster in Floridiot!


Infidel753 called him DeSanitize in the comments. I shared the link in a tweet and the person who responded called him MoRon. Put them together and it's MoRon DeSanitize. May that become a meme.

*I approve. As I wrote in 'Queer Eye,' 'Shark Tank,' and 'Tidying Up with Marie Kondo' — diversity in structured reality programs, "'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' is my go-to guilty pleasure. I watched a marathon of it in the hospital as I recovered from my surgery for prostate cancer and I used a clip from the show here six years ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment