Tuesday, October 12, 2021

John Oliver and Samantha Bee on misinformation

I've spent most of the past week ragging on Facebook and its sister platform Instagram for their practices that are harmful to a healthy democracy, so I'm not going to do that today. Instead, I'm turning my attention to other platforms that spread misinformation, beginning with WhatsApp, featured in Misinformation by "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver."*

John Oliver discusses how misinformation spreads among immigrant diaspora communities, how little some platforms have done to stop it, and, most importantly, how to have a very good morning.
After a year and a half of watching John Oliver recording his show in "a blank void" with no one laughing at his jokes, seeing him in the studio was reassuring, but I'm still not used to hearing a studio audience.

WhatsApp isn't the only platform being used for spreading misinformation. "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee" uploaded TikTok Misinformation is Spreading and it’s #Dangerous last month.

Like your most rhythmically-challenged friend, TikTok is having a hell of a time mastering its latest challenge: stopping the spread of harmful misinformation. To prevent dangerous conspiracy theories and lies from going viral, everyone's favorite clock app needs to do better!
Of course, some of the worst misinformation is about the pandemic. Sigh. I wish I were surprised.

*Sharing this video reminds me that I need to follow up on 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver' leads Outstanding Variety Talk Series nominees at the Emmy Awards for the fifth consecutive year. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment