Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Michigan Secretary of State Benson warns of anti-democracy agenda

Today is World Freedom Day, but I'm staying very close to home with MBNBC's MI Secretary of State Warns of Anti-Democracy Agenda: ‘We’re Not Rising With The Same Intensity’.

“There is no bottom,” as conspiracy-based legislation has real life effects on American voters nationwide, with insurrectionists winning elections and local election officials being replaced by those who say they will overturn results. Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson joins Ali Velshi to explain why we need to “start talking more about what’s happening behind the scenes,” and how the complete lack of accountability and consequences -- either legal or political -- is sending the wrong message to both voters and anyone who hopes to lead.
It looks like the people who buy Trump's "Big Lie" are learning from last year's failed effort to overturn the election by not just working the refs, but replacing them. I'm going to recycle my reaction from April in response.
Personally, I'd rather call it Trump's dangerous delusion, his fixed belief that the election was stolen from him despite all evidence, which I see as related to his vulnerability to conspiracy theories, but "the Big Lie" is the established phrase used by CNBC and others, so I'm calling it that instead. It's a lie, too.
To paraphrase what I wrote last month, Benson's remarks show that Trump's delusion is not just dangerous but contagious.

I'm also going to recycle what I wrote two years ago: "The maintenance and expansion of democracy and liberty require constant effort and vigilance; progress will not happen by itself." That's just as true here and now as it was when I wrote it about Europe in 2019. May my readers remember that and act on it.  We need the intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment