Monday, December 20, 2021

Vox answers questions about the COVID booster shot, a pandemic update

I closed U.S. passes 800,000 dead from COVID-19, a pandemic update with a promise to my readers.
I'm going to follow the advice to get a booster shot next week. That way, I can be a good example to my readers in addition to keeping myself healthy and safe.
On that topic, Vox uploaded Big questions about the Covid booster shot, answered two weeks ago.

How omicron has reframed the booster debate.
...
Much of the messaging from authorities around Covid-19 booster shots has been confusing — and that’s partly because scientists themselves haven’t always agreed on who needs them. When many countries began to recommend boosters not just for the older and high-risk, but for all adults, they were essentially taking sides in a still-unresolved debate around that question: Why give an extra dose to healthy adults who are still very protected against severe Covid-19 cases from their original dose?

But since the omicron variant has emerged, many have changed their minds. To understand why, we talked to one formerly skeptical expert who scheduled her own booster shot based on what she learned about omicron. We spoke to her about what happens in your immune system when you get that third (or second) shot, and why it could be especially useful in stopping the spread of omicron.
That answered a lot of my questions. Today, I grade final exams. Tomorrow, I schedule my appointment for a booster shot. I hope my readers follow my example so we can speed up the end of the pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment