Friday, February 12, 2021

Colbert, Meyers, Noah, and Kimmel recount compelling evidence at Trump's second impeachment trial that some Senators are ignoring

I promised I would write an entry about impeachment today twice, so I'm fulfilling that promise beginning with Stephen Colbert's Republicans Tune Out Damning Evidence As House Managers Warn That Acquittal Would Have Consequences.

House impeachment managers closed their case on Thursday with more incredibly damning evidence tying the former president directly to the deadly attack on the Capitol, and warned Senators of dire consequences should they vote to acquit.
I missed blogging about the armed occupation of Michigan's Capitol on April 30th, instead writing about its prequel in Trump tweets 'Liberate Michigan' after Operation Gridlock protest in Lansing and sequel, The plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer. It's about time I mentioned it here, especially since it turned out to be practice for the failed coup attempt. When I wrote The solutions devised here will be exported, including the bad ones 10 years ago, I wasn't kidding, although I didn't envision one of them would be the armed takeover of government! As I wrote then, "any bad idea that takes root here could be very dangerous." I hate to say this, but I told you so.

Speaking of "I told you so," Representative Adam Schiff's closing argument from last year turned out to be very prescient.
"We must say enough — enough! He has betrayed our national security, and he will do so again," Schiff, D-Calif., told the Senate. "He has compromised our elections, and he will do so again. You will not change him. You cannot constrain him. He is who he is. Truth matters little to him. What's right matters even less, and decency matters not at all."
...
"Can we be confident that he will not continue to try to cheat in [this] very election? Can we be confident that Americans and not foreign powers will get to decide, and that the president will shun any further foreign interference in our Democratic affairs?" Schiff asked. "The short, plain, sad, incontestable answer is no, you can't. You can't trust this president to do the right thing. Not for one minute, not for one election, not for the sake of our country. You just can't. He will not change and you know it."
...
"What are the odds if left in office that he will continue trying to cheat? I will tell you: 100 percent," he said. "A man without character or ethical compass will never find his way."
Schiff was right about nearly everything he warned the Senate and Americans watching at home, and all of it will be true if there was foreign, probably Russian, support of the people involved in and behind the insurrection. He told us so.

Follow over the jump for more comedic commentary on yesterday's proceedings from Seth Meyers, Trevor Noah, and Jimmy Kimmel.

Seth also went back in time to for GOP Senators Warned About Trump's Violence - Now They're Ignoring It: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at the House impeachment managers presenting a damning and powerful case against former President Donald Trump this week, and still Republicans have made clear they just don't care.
Republican Senators aren't just not listening to the House impeachment managers. They're not even listening to themselves. They were right about Trump then, but don't care now. Sigh.

Like Stephen, Trevor concentrated on the compelling evidence and the lack of interest among some Senators in Impeachment Day 3: Unseen Riot Footage & Apathetic GOP Senators.

The impeachment trial continues, Democrats show never-before-seen footage of the riots, Trump’s supporters themselves provided evidence of his guilt, and Republican Senators couldn’t care less.
One of the impeachment managers featured in today's clips is Diana DeGette, who shows up in two videos I show my classes, "Food, Inc." and "Gasland." Both documentaries show her on the same side of food and energy issues that I'm on. I'm glad to see her defending representative democracy and the rule of law, putting her on my side of an important issue as well. Just for that, I followed her on Facebook and Twitter.

Given the inattention some Republican Senators are paying to the evidence, it will be nearly impossible to obtain a conviction. Just the same, Jimmy Kimmel broke down a path to a Trump conviction.

It’s day three of Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial and Jimmy breaks down the longshot path to convicting him, FOX News turning up the faux outrage button, people who were at the Capitol riots incriminating themselves on social media, 18% of Americans who have heard of QAnon believing their claims are somewhat accurate, the theory that Trump will be reinaugurated on March 4th, an $8,000 Louis Vuitton sweater that is covered in puppets, a special Valentine’s Day gift idea for that special something in your life, we embark into the weekend of love with a new edition of Masking Questions, and This Week in Unnecessary Censorship.
That's not a promising group of Senators, but at least there are 20 of them, so 17 voting to convict is at least theoretically possible, if extremely improbable. I wish the House impeachment managers luck. They'll need it.

Jimmy's observation that "if Americans cared as much about America as they do about Britney Spears, this would be a really great place to live" reminded me of my observations about Americans and their entertainment: "America is quite clear about its screwed up priorities­. My experience has convinced me that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with their entertainm­ent" and "Americans want their entertainment, and will do just about anything to keep it going." My friend Nebris thinks this is one of my great insights. I'm sure it is, but, like Jimmy, I wish it weren't true.

I'm going to recycle two of my tweets in response to QAnon's conspiracy theory.
The March 4th date comes from Sovereign Citizens and their cargo cult ideas about history and law. That came first, the Qult picked it up second, and I think Trump's hotel jumped on it as money-making opportunity third. I hope to ignore this. For me, #March4th is March Forth, Marching Music Day.
That's it for impeachment today. Stay tuned for my annual post about Lunar New Year, which should conclude my blogging for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment